buffingtonhomes

What defines luxury - a spacious shower or soaking tub?

Buffington Homes South Carolina
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
What defines luxury in your mind—a spacious shower for two or a long view from your soaking tub?

Comments (57)

• PRO
    Allied Kitchen, Bath, Home and Outdoor Living
    9 years ago
    We are seeing luxury defined not only in terms of function but, also emotions and aesthetics.
    Homeowners are paying close attention to surface choices in flooring and countertops and luxury details. Interesting tile borders, decorative mirrors, specialty lighting and decorative hardware can all contribute to a "luxury" look without a big investment. If they are wanting to update frameless showers are a great investment as well as a tub that looks luxurious (even if they seldom use it!). We also carry the total vanity units including the mirror and built-in lighting for a clean cohesive look as well as custom cabinetry. For the Uber luxury clients steam showers, rain showers, soaking tubs and ToTo Toilets are a must! Visit us at www.alliedkitchenandbath.com for more ideas!
  • Linda Lilley
    9 years ago
    But, I worry about resale. What sells a home tub & shower or larger shower.
  • PRO
    Dawson & Clinton
    9 years ago
    I think as far as selling a home the shower is much more popular nowadays, and it's easier to work into a nice bathroom design. Unless you have a lot of room a soaking tub and shower can really take over the space.
  • PRO
    McSwains Home Turnaround Designs
    9 years ago
    I believe you can both and luxurious look. I believe it comes from the materials and fabrics you bring into the bathroom.
  • PRO
    The Bath Works, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I'd have to say a beautiful hand made tub would define the room but I am biased.
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    9 years ago
    Both. I wouldn't buy a home that didn't have both a soaking tub with jets and a walk-in shower.
  • diyer59
    9 years ago
    Luxury to me means many different things. I have a nice big garden tub in a beautifully remodeled bathroom that goes unused in the midst of a drought. In my other home I had a jetted regular sized tub which got more use (because it didn't take so much water to fill it). But, luxury is a beautifully done room--one that makes me feel peaceful, comfortable and totally at home.
  • Kathy Wargo
    9 years ago
    Personally I don't like a tub, but I think the tub is more a luxury, but you must have the space. Tub shows you have the luxury of time to soak.
  • Delora Dickey
    9 years ago
    Shower...always! Although I do wonder how beneficial a tub will be when I'm older. Oh well, with a huge shower, I can always put in an Adirondack chair and pretend it's raining! ha, ha
  • cmcicin
    9 years ago
    In a perfect world we would have the space and budget for both but reality often dictates that we choose between the two. Most clients will choose the large, glassed walk-in shower, these days. With the introduction of a new and vast array of freestanding soaking tubs, often we can incorporate both into a reasonably sized bathroom and the price points are so varied that they can be economical Big Box offerings to the polished pewter or Marble luxury baths. Carmen Murphy-Cicin Residential Interior Design
  • lewmett
    9 years ago
    I work for a reno company and lately we have been removing tubs a putting in large showers in their place. My family rarely uses the tub, but we have a hot tub which we use often. I would take out the tub, but make sure the house has at least one tub, for resale ( young children need tubs).
  • miriamk
    9 years ago
    Several years ago my husband became ill and was forced to be in a wheelchair. Our bathroom was really too small to accommodate this and we wanted to create one he would enjoy and could use! so we designed and built (me and some friends) a walk in shower that is 4'x6' which feels really large to me. It has a rain head, a hand shower and four jets. Until we built this shower I was strictly a bath person - showers were only for when there was no time for a bath. We have a claw-foot tub as well which I absolutely adore. But now I use that shower every day and the bath only occasionally.
  • dreamerchantal
    9 years ago
    Both! I'm in the process of putting in a large shower in one bathroom and will then have a soaker tub in another bathroom.
  • PRO
    Suncook Carpentry
    9 years ago
    To me luxury would mean not having to ask the question in the first place. Though, I don't have a problem with tub and shower combined.
  • psychypnotic
    9 years ago
    Both, definitely. If that is not possible, stick with the tub for a more traditionally luxurious feel and go all out. If your style is more modern, a sleek and LARGE frame less glass door shower is your best bet but don't skimp on the details!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    BOTH! The tub for an hours long soak, with jazz of course. :) And huge shower for the body cleaning. A bath never makes me feel clean. But it is great for relaxing! But then, I love the shower pounding on my back! :) I'll take both! ;)
  • acm
    9 years ago
    For resale, the answer depends on the number of baths -- if you put no tub anywhere, then it's hard to get your kids clean. :) However, if the kids have their own tub, then I like the look of a modern large shower first, and a tub only if space allows. (I wish more people made use of a deep 30" diameter soaking tub in constrained spaces! they're great, with or without jets.)
  • forker273
    9 years ago
    I have both...but if I was forced to give up one, it would certainly be the Jacuzzi tub. The large shower with multiple jets and heads is used everyday...the tub is rarely used by me or my wife for that matter. She enjoys the tub when she uses it, but would never give up our great shower for the tub if a decision between them would need to be made. Fortunately, we don't have to choose between them.
  • lake1114
    9 years ago
    I agree with acm-there must be a tub somewhere in the house. Assuming we are talking about the master and money and size is not an issue then both, of course. I have both now and seldom use the jetted tub due to time restraints and (hate to admit it) cleaning it. What a pain! But it looks so beautiful when you walk into a bathroom and see a gorgeous tub and shower.

In our new master bath, we are splurging on a large walk-in shower with a bench and multiple heads. It will get used everyday and the walk-in will be great as we get older. There is a tub in the main bath for the little ones so we won't have to be concerned about a tub for resale.
  • PRO
    John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods
    9 years ago
    We believe in both. This way you can have the choice of tub or shower based on how you feel that day! Neither detracts from the other, like in the case of this spa bath at our Olmsted community in Charlotte, NC.
  • pajallen
    9 years ago
    We just converted our tub to a step in shower and love it. When getting up and sitting down, basically on the floor, was something I could more easily do, I loved a long hot tub soak to ease away tensions. Now I revel in room to slowly pirouette under the stream of hot water.
  • Eva Lutz
    9 years ago
    a fabulous shower with a bench, rainshower head, multiple power jets and a hand held shower, product niches, light effects ... throw in loudspeakers for surround sound music and a mirror tv/computer screen AND a tub as well. Corner tubs take up little space as do circular soaking tubs. I do love the idea of a free standing slipper bathtub though, looking into a fireplace or out into a prettily flowered privacy garden, even better looking out to the sea/lake/river or a man made water feature such as a waterfall wall, fountain or spheric water sculpture
  • rubyloves2shop
    9 years ago
    Both
  • serendipity01
    9 years ago
    I had the luxury of building my master bath several years ago. And put in the spa bath for two and the large shower. The bath gets used at lest once a week. -it's my sanity saver! :+}
    But the one thing now wish designers would do? Please put the toilet behind a door!! We did.And love it. I've stayed in 7 star places and yes,lovely bathrooms, but jeez hide the toilet please!!
  • Lynda
    9 years ago
    Either or both, depending on your preference. We put both in when we did our bathroom remodel last year. Shower gets daily use, and due to space issues, it isn't as large as I'd like (it's 3' x 4'), it's still luxurious, with bench, rain shower head and wand.

We also have a largish modern freestanding tub. It's under a large window (so couldn't have put the shower there). It has a waterfall tub filler plus wand (mostly used for cleaning tub). We don't use the tub that often, but after 10 years in an apartment without a tub (shower only), it is heaven when we want to soak.
  • Karin Madgwick
    9 years ago
    I have both and use both. It may not look like it in the photos but the shower is 1200ml x 900ml with a rain water head. At the other end of the bath is a matching 1200 x 900 glass enclosed toilet. The tiles are travertine and yes I feel very spoilt to have such luxury in our granny flat.
  • suellenh
    9 years ago
    Pretty tub is just eye-candy to someone who definitely always takes showers...and we love our large shower.
  • rcford
    9 years ago
    We put in a two head glassed in shower with a bench seat the length of me and steam unit. We then put a hot tub of the master deck with a view of the lake. Now I have the best of both. We did succumb and put and tub/shower in the kids' bathroom, although it's pretty much only used to shower.
  • PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    9 years ago
    i think the trend is definitely going toward the spacious shower right now. the "young urban professionals" these days don't have time for a bath... heck i don't have time for a bath....

so i guess to answer the question "what defines luxury" is definitely a bath tub, since not everyone has the luxury/time to take a bath.

i see the spacious shower more and more and i have to say i'm kinda liking it ;)
    but how about combining the two? turn your entire bathroom into a "steam/shower/bath"- room.
    sort of digging this concept ;))

xoxo eva @ monarchsofas.com

Woodside Residence · More Info
  • marsia
    9 years ago
    If I could have the perfect bathroom, it would have a curb-less shower next to a free-standing tub with the toilet in another room or behind a pony wall. There would also be a skylight with beautiful trees to look up at, and frosted glass windows to let light in, but clear at the top so you could see the landscape and still have privacy. I would put a ceramic garden stool next to the tub for a book, and another for a cup of tea.
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Luxury for me was always the time to take a long soak in a tub. Now I have the time, the body is too old to climb in and out of a bath. Life wasn't meant to be easy.
  • PRO
    McSwains Home Turnaround Designs
    9 years ago
    Olldroo
    You can still soak they have the tub with the door you open get inside there lots of accessories to them. You can them as a whirlpool.
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Thanks McSwains but when the knees go not even a door would help. I would need an electrically operated seat that would put me back on my feet.
  • jillybeansisme
    9 years ago
    I am putting in a 3' x 6' tub/shower combo in my daughter's bathroom since she will eventually be quite tall. In my bathroom I am putting in a 3' x 5'6" air tub in which I can use bubble bath, oils, salts, etc. AND I am putting in a shower that is almost 4' x 6' with ample bench seat, high shower head and a separate hand held shower. I'll go through an arch to get to a windowed area in which the toilet and shower door are located. There will not be a door closing this area off because it wouldn't get used and I don't want to open it after using the toilet in order to go wash my hands. All of the tubs and showers will have safety grab bars.
  • Deb Trethewey
    9 years ago
    A combination of the two.
  • melissarustyrobertson
    9 years ago
    I think it is preference and want to have something you will use. . We loved our built in whirlpool large tub surrounded by cedar wood borders with accent storage for years( very pretty) and got to where didn't use it so now in the middle of taking it out completely replacing with a large walkin tile shower with 4 different shower head in it. Cant wait till finished !
  • Libbie Burling
    9 years ago
    When we recently remodeled we added both. My husband is a shower guy and I love to soak in a warm bath. I found it interesting that when we had the bath remodeled the first suggestion from every contractor we met with suggested eliminating a tub.
  • normaanne
    9 years ago
    I need to re-do both of my full bathrooms. In the common bathroom, I would put in a bathtub (for re-sale value). In my private bathroom, I would splurge and put in an extra-large shower with extra shower heads.
  • Janet Floyd
    9 years ago
    I have one of those tubs with walls that are all one piece, which was in the guest bath when we moved in. They're awful. I would like to have the whole thing ripped out and replaced with a freestanding tub, with the surrounding walls all tiled. Are there any issues with tiling the walls that way? I love the look of the ones I've seen. Also, would it be impractical to have a shower head in the wall? I don't like to not have a shower in there at all and the master bath has only a large walk-in shower. Can't really do without a tub at all since I need to consider resale value.
  • sensiblegal
    9 years ago
    Having a bathroom large enough to accommodate either is a luxury.
  • Sydney Chandler
    9 years ago
    When I was looking for a home, it turned me off when I went to the master bathroom and found no tub. Not everyone is a shower person. I rarely take showers, I'm a tub person myself. I think both should be in a bathroom because showers, I've found, is what men like most of the time. I would never redo a bath with just one or the other. Even many realtors concurred that an en suite bathroom without a large tub was a deterrent to those who weren't looking to renovate and even with those who were, a tub was important to have. But luxury is defined differently for many people.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    9 years ago
    Both can be great but what are your market demographics? Shower for two sounds like more fun. Tub sounds good for elderly couples but needs to have access for those in a wheelchair.
  • Sherry Mabrey
    9 years ago
    Tub, cold glass. Of wine candles and Kenny Gee Cd
  • beverlynn
    9 years ago
    I hate my tub (combo tub/shower)! It's an oversize tub that is difficult to clean. I have to get in it to clean it and because it is a cheap builder grade, it never looks clean. If I had the $$$ I'd convert it to a nice tiled walk in shower. The bathroom isn't large enough for both a tub and shower. If it was, I'd put in a deep soaker tub that isn't wide like the monstrosity that I have!
  • crivera0202
    9 years ago
    Big, beautiful shower. I have a soaking tub that I have to dust--I have lived here more than a year and never used it. The house I sold had a jacuzzi I only used the first year and then it, too, was a dusting job. I just don't like stewing in my own dirt. Much rather have a gorgeous, big shower, preferably with heated tile floors and a hand held shower head to make cleaning it easier.

And for the person who said elderly couples would need a tub, I have an elderly father who can't safely navigate getting in and out of a slippery tub with his new hip. A roll-in shower is the safer option.
  • micheleb622
    9 years ago
    I have a soaking tub and large shower and use both, depending on my mood. It is really a matter of personal preference if you plan to stay in the home for awhile.
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

Both! If a homeowner can afford a big shower plus a soaking tub - then do it. It gives you flexibility that most people need and want.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    The definition of luxury is to have the space and money to create the bathroom of your dreams. We have a huge master bathroom that I want to renovate and I’ve considered removing the tub but the picture window that you see when you walk in just screams for a gorgeous free standing beauty.
    I’ll remodel when I can afford a gorgeous tub and money to upgrade the shower and vanities and tiles.
    (I’m exhausted just thinking about it.)
  • Lidia
    5 years ago
    Tub...we are putting in a Japanese soaking tub next to a curbless shower. Tubs are the luxury though a steam shower runs a close second IMHO.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.