jema550

Need help decorating this wall

jema550
9 years ago
Hi. Please help me decorate the wall in my living area. I like modern style. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Comments (51)

• Maria Smith
    9 years ago
    I am thinking a low profile shelving/bookcase system w/ a lamp to scale on top, then do a collection of similarly framed art/photographs, or a large mirror to reflect light into the room. A deep grey color with grey frames for the art would really bring the room together.
    jema550 thanked Maria Smith
  • Related Discussions

need help decorating guest room

Q

Comments (2)
    Don't forget to provide a folding luggage rack or some other suitable space for an open suitcase. Otherwise your guests will have to work off the floor--awkward and difficult as we age.
    ...See More

Need help with trellis wall

Q

Comments (11)
    Pyracantha (firethorn) is evergreen, with beautiful white flowers in spring followed by vibrant red or orange berries in fall. It lends itself easily to espalier--ing. You can make as geometric/formal (and flat) a shape as you like -- or leave it to a natural bushy habit. If you choose to paint your wall first, I'd whitewash it so that it blends in with the neighbor's house. Together they will create an innocuous, even shabby chic backdrop for your planting.
    ...See More

Need help choosing wall lights for mirrored wall cabinet in bathroom

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you, Stan, for your advice. I was contemplating putting a similar light like yours above the cabinet, but decided I prefer lights on either side, as there is a lot of space which I'd like to fill a little. I will also put them on top of tiles, so another point to consider. The ones I had chosen only protrude 90 mm from the wall, so I wonder if they should protrude at least the same as the cabinet, which is 150 mm, to illuminate the face, when putting on make up or in general. Here is a picture of the lights I really liked...and another one in a room situation ( not my bathroom), but they are next to a mirror with minimal depth. I like them a lot, but am open to other options, just wondered about projection.
    ...See More

Need help with TV placement and decor ideas for compact living room

Q

Comments (2)
    I think the only place you could put a tv is probably the corner by the window...over the fireplace is probably too high. a walnut floor and new fresher paint colour would be lovely, would you consider painting the skirting boards and fireplace white or off white to modernise them a bit? we've painted the skirting in our living room (also a walnut floor) and it looks so much better than before. (Have yet to get around to the rest of the house!!)
    ...See More
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    I agree with Dytecture, art will provide some personality and pizazz into your room. Black and white framed photos are too boring for this room.

Some ideas

http://houzz.com/photos/7376458

http://houzz.com/photos/9041766

http://houzz.com/photos/9038421

http://houzz.com/photos/5951964

Art should "speak" to you and give you a smile or feeling every time you look at it!
    jema550 thanked laurakdesigns
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi and thank you all for your comments.
    Maria smith, we are considering the shelving system and my husband likes it very much. However, I am also looking to put a hall table in the hallway (still haven't decided on the style) and a buffet with lamps on top for the other corner where my dining set is. So I am thinking maybe it'll be too much shelving? But am not a expert in decoration. What do you think? The other thing is this room has no lack of sunlight. Actually I had to close all curtains to be able to take a photo so I am not so sure about the mirror.
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Rebecca. I have the same personal photo decoration in our smaller living room which really bring smile to my face when I look at them. I am looking for something different and less personal in this room.
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Laurakdesign and Dytecture, I like the idea of a large piece of art. But am not sure about the dimension and the colors. Should it be a long narrow one ( similar shape to the window that I have behind the chair) and hang it just above the small table? How busy the painting can be? Lots of bright colors? Or something simple. As we have another more personal living area I prefer to keep this one somehow glamorous and styly rather than a place to keep the items that I personally like.
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    I would get something that is monochromatic that fills up a large part of the wall (centred on the wall). Here is an abstract painting from Uttermost that could work if you like this sort of thing (it's 36"x36"). I would avoid shelves as it will look too busy. You have a nice restful room and would try to keep it that way.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    This might help you visualize. Although I would try to find something that is rectangular for the wall not square like this one.
    jema550 thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    If you do decide on one large piece of art, I don't think it should be centred on the wall -- instead, centre it between the armchair and the edge of the wall (by hall). Not sure about this so wonder what others think.
    jema550 thanked hatetoshop
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    9 years ago
    I'd love to see you hang a pair of curtain panels at almost ceiling height that touch the floor on wide set decorative rods to make the awkwardly small sized window appear larger and in better scale with the space. it will also soften all of the hard edges of the space...i'd use the blue from the ottoman as your accent color for curtains, a few more toss pillows, and wall art. also remember to add sin some elements of black and metal with a few not too small accessories, to balance the palette. I think art is a very personal choice and should reflect your personality and style into your space. I always find something great at art.com. remember large art makes spaces feel larger, more modern and less cluttered. also add some table and floor lamps, which work wonders at making a space look 'finished'....the light they shine is much warmer and flattering at night than over head lighting. it looks great so far!
    jema550 thanked potchiemagoodleberry
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Re hatetoshop's comment - creating a vignette with artwork, table and chair looks great and I often do it. But not with a large piece of art. So you would have to make a choice. A smaller piece of artwork to define the chair area or something that stands alone on the wall. Hope this helps?
  • Maria Smith
    9 years ago
    Would like to see pic of other three walls, so get idea of balance. One idea would be to open sections of the wall between the studs for built in shelving, maybe three sections of different sizes, frame them, and paint the frame dark grey. Sort of like pic one here, but not as tall, maybe graduated sizes or two sorta high and one low. You could install puck lights at the top of each. If you sketch it out on the wall w/ painter tape you could play with the configuration. I think that even if you did large art, there would still need to be some sort of table to anchor the chair and for one to place a beverage. Some kind of lighting is needed also. [houzz=
    Pacific Heights Transformations · More Info
    ]
  • Maria Smith
    9 years ago
    Overlapping elements will give a more cohesive feel (where art/shelves are on wall, chair in front, smart table w/ lamp.)
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    Jema550,
    As far as the shape, I would try one statement piece or perhaps 2 on that wall. The window you mention is too tall and narrow for the artwork in that space. With that said, it sometimes depends on the art itself! If you find something that you love and speaks to you, there's always a way to make it work! One way to check sizes is to tape up butcher paper in the size(s) of the artwork, and see how it looks on the wall. It actually helps you see the shape, without the distraction of the art itself.

What do you love in art? It's such a personal decision, (and expense!) that it's best to find something that makes your heart sing when you look at it. You can go with very abstract to more fluid pieces. The colors should contain what you have going on in your room already, or at least enhance that!

If you want a tranquil feel, then more subdued works, exciting, dramatic lends itself to movement in the art.

Your room has some style already, you've chosen a very current fabric and colors, so there are a lot of directions you can go! If you find a couple things you like, feel free to post and I will be happy to give you my opinions. Or, if you provide a little more direction, I can give you some additional ideas.
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you guys.
    Rebecca Mitchell,
    I love the pic you shared. Will look for something similar. Would you frame it?

Potchiemagoodleberry,
    the idea of nice curtains on those windows ( there are 2 of them will post a photo to show them) has come to my mind too. Considering other curtains I have in this space what pattern you suggest?

Maria Smith,
    I purchased the side table next to the chair recently and I'm going to put a big white shade lamp on it (when I found the right one). What do you think? I also can replace that table with a white or blue ceramic stool to serve as table ( but with no lamp on top) which one will look more classy?

Laurakdesigns,
    That wall is a little more than 4m long. So have two big pieces of art makes a lot of sense. (Or one needs to be extra large) in terms of deciding on the art, I need help help help. What I am looking for is something that fills that empty space elegantly and bring the room togather. I post some more pics to show other angles of the room. It's dark now but during the day just imagine lots of sunshine comes tru those windows and I usually have them closed otherwise the room becomes an oven:)
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That wall behind the TV is 5.5meters.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Glad you like the abstract painting. You wouldn't have to frame it if it's neatly wrapped around canvas. It's up to you - in a living room I would but this a family room and less formal. Without painting the walls, it will always look quite bare, so you might want to reconsider some black and white photography in different size frames for the television wall. You could do a montage around the television so that it blends in with the frames. If you can't afford original artwork, Etsy.com is a great place to find less priced pieces of original paintings, photography or limited edition prints. You have established a neutral palette in this room so I would hesitate to bring in any bright or colourful artwork - especially on these pale walls - as it will dominate the space and work against the overall feel I think you are trying to create.
  • Maria Smith
    9 years ago
    I think the side table/lamp combo would work if it is to scale. Then the art behind it. A complimentary lamp on the sofa end table would be good too. (Can you run the cord under the sofa to the art wall?) I would bring the rug out a bit more from underneath the sofa, to where the edge of the front of the sofa is resting on it and the other edge falls in front of the media stand. I don't know how you are with plants, but a large, low maintenance plant would be good in the corner where the slider possibly in a dark grey or muted yellow pot. Another chair in that corner would be good too. I like to keep measurements of the spaces that I am working on in my wallet, along with measure tape (make a paper tape to fold in your wallet) so when I am out I can quickly determine if a piece/element is going to work.
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the tips Rebecca. I'll checkout etsy.com
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maria, running the cord under the rug is no problem and. Currently im looking around for some nice lamps. I will move the rug this weekend to be closer to the tv set. 2 armchair in the same fabric and style of the sofa are on their way to fill the other side of the rug and im thinking of a nest table (metal legs and glass top) to sit next to them. When the chairs arrive then ill see how big a plant i can git there without making it too busy. Any ideas on the lamps color? Im looking for white/ creamy lamp & shade. Just seeking approval frim the experts i reckon:)
  • Billie
    9 years ago
    Is it possible to get a floor outlet installed instead if running the chord under the carpet?
  • Maria Smith
    9 years ago
    This is what I was trying to describe, but framed out in grey: [houzz=
    Park Avenue South · More Info
    ]
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Would it be the right size for artworks on this wall?
  • mirandask
    9 years ago
    What about something like that?
    http://houzz.com/photos/266906
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not so sure as I've got big windows on the opposite side.
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    But I like the idea of having a table there...
  • mainstreetschool
    9 years ago
    I like "sky fall"suggested by laurakdesigns in early post. It is bold and modern and will compliment your print accents. Pick up the blue in it for lamps with white shades.
    jema550 thanked mainstreetschool
  • mirandask
    9 years ago
    This looks a little bit like your wall

http://houzz.com/photos/7389407
  • jema550 thanked mirandask
  • jema550 thanked mirandask
  • PRO
    Luxe Water Walls
    9 years ago
    A water wall would fill in that space. Plus they are great natural humidifiers that will prevent those hardwood floors from drying out.
    http://www.LuxeWaterWalls.com
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Warner Decore, i love the mirrores. Im going to get the first one with a nice hall table for that entry adjusent to the room (where red paintings are now). For this wall i wont repeat the table but want 2 big art. Need advice on the size. I taped the wall to get an idea of how big the art should be. Any thoughts on that one?
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Consider adding wall decor such as artwork or 3D wall art. Also, shelves add functionality and will help make the space feel complete.
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    9 years ago
    Hi Jema, if you enjoy modern art you can also check out our page to see if there is any artwork you like. Our images can be printed in any size to fit your decorating needs... Raisa
    jema550 thanked It's a Beautiful World!
  • jema550
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Dear all. Thanks for sharing your ideas with me. Here is some updated photos. Now I need help with few more things. I need a lamp for the side table. Something with the right scale and shape. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Also I would like to update curtains on the windows of both side of the TV but am willing to keep the other curtains. Any idea?
  • PRO
    Artfuly
    9 years ago
    For original, unique and affordable artworks delivered door to door see https://Artfuly.com
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Looks great! Would you consider painting one accent wall (television wall) to help minimize television and accentuate the windows? Take a colour from the ottoman or painting fabric.
  • bathbear
    9 years ago
    I think rather than art works on this wall you would do well with a really large beautiful mirror (ornate or plain, depending on your taste) that will reflect back all that light. Put a large sideboard underneath for displaying gorgeous objects that display your passions, photos, plants and personal style.
  • PRO
    davidwardstickart
    8 years ago

You must be over idea(d). Last one here is my organic artwork.
    Let me know what you think.http://www.houzz.com/pro/stickart/david-ward
    Best,
    David

• PRO
    Rebekah Codlin Art
    8 years ago

Hello, I am a NZ realism artist who ships world wide. My works are mainly striking realism portraits. These ad warmth and personality to spaces. You may be interested in my very high quality Giclee fine art prints. Most of my artworks are available in two canvas print sizes and also framed under glass ranging in price from $250-$800. Some originals are also still for sale but sell quite quickly. Check out my website to view and/or purchase works www.rebekahcodlinart.co.nz good luck! :)

Story Time · More Info

Matumaini · More Info

Charlotte · More Info

Afican Rain · More Info

Suri Girl · More Info

• PRO
    davidwardstickart
    8 years ago

Hi Rebecca, love your work! My wife loves Gerhard Rickter. It might be nice for you to do something non portrait sometime to fit into more interiors. Here is her water painting. She wants to study more photo realism.Thanks for sharing,

David

• PRO
    Rebekah Codlin Art
    8 years ago

Hi David, thank you for your encouragement. I actually have found my portraits fit well in many decor settings due to their colours and effects. However I can see your point, although scenery and still-lifes seem to be almost everywhere...perhaps a point of difference isn't a bad thing when it comes to decorating your house. That is a lovely painting by your wife :)

• PRO
    davidwardstickart
    8 years ago

Abstract is also a possibility. I do really love your work don't take me the wrong way. If you ever come to America give us a call. You could give my wife a class!

Take care,

David

• PRO
    Fleur de Lys Tapestries
    8 years ago
    Tapestry - Tuscany Villa - wall tapestry, gives a warm homely finish!
  • Wendy Tancredi
    8 years ago
    What about this canvas by Sarah Brooke an Australian artist. Matches your decor would be the statement piece and less expensive than built in shelving.
  • Lesley Taylor
    8 years ago

May I suggest a zany zodiac inspired painting either showing one of the house holder's star signs or of one which echoes your decor. I have included Capricorn here as it would accent your decor, but there are several others listed on Bluethumb for you to choose from

https://bluethumb.com.au/lesley-taylor/Artwork/capricorn-dec22nd-jan-19th

• User
    8 years ago

This is an old thread!

• PRO
    Ottomans By Design
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, you have made the television your focal point, the television should be on the wall where the art is. So put the art where the TV is and put your three seater lounge under it. the two single chairs go directly opposite the TV, also the ottoman should be a rectangle and the white chair should go to the other side of the room near the large window with a small side table as a reading nook. The furniture can float in the room and does not have to sit right near the walls. Also I would mount the TV on the wall and have a full width timber floating shelf (ideally with storage in it) about 30cm top to bottom. Hope this helps and the room appears more open and inviting. Lynda Natural White Interiors. naturalwhiteinteriors.blogspot.com.au

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.