hickeyraquel

Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning room?

hickeyraquel
10 years ago
Any ideas for final touches to this living room?
I have just finish paining walls, sanding floors and adding new curtains, but can't come up with any ideas to finish it off and tie the rooms together. any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments (56)

• PRO
    Matilda Bos Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Hi....I would put an upholstered bench in the alcove by the fireplace. The piece that's in the corner now, is it
    too big for the mantle in front of the mirror. The mantle needs some pieces that will reflect in the mirror, possibilities are candlesticks, a horse, and orchid in a wonderful pot, the height should go left to right. The piece that's on the floor could also work on the coffee table. Try a small scale chair on the side of the coffee table, to make a conversation area, the bench can be brought over in front of the fireplace, when more seating is needed. When accessorizing, keep in mind different heights and non-matchy pieces....art books, with an orchid on top....some old crystal door knobs....interesting objects but not cluttered.
    hickeyraquel thanked Matilda Bos Design Studio
  • ladyin2b
    10 years ago
    Lovely start , needs a little visual interest , a little too neutral, when you go that neutral you need texture and high and low moments.. I vote for a chair in the corner in front of the art piece , perhaps a painted wood french bergere in a blue gray with a linen fabric ... And the carpet is a bit dark, maybe a lighter sisal , and a white marble art piece on the mantel, the small objects on the coffee are lost, need something larger off center to balance . Also the shiny pillows are a bit much, I would go with a larger geometric in a silk blue gray on linen and a newer lampshade in a barrel look, to give the space some youth, or it begins to look too much like your grandmothers instead of sophisticated... And remember the old adage , things look better in odd numbers... Pictures, artifacts, pillows, etc.
    hickeyraquel thanked ladyin2b
  • Related Discussions

Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning room?

Q

Comments (51)
    Just a quick note to thank you all for sharing your thought, ideas, experience and time. I especially want to thank Bluenan and decoenthusiaste for being with me through the all process for the last 6 months or so..., just wanted to post few photos of the results (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/any-ideas-for-final-touches-to-this-living-dinning-room-dsvw-vd~569586) as I feel it is not only me who created this space but it is your creations as much as mine. It may not be perfect or according to the the "Rules", but it is Me and my family. Each and every piece was chosen by me in different parts of the world and each one of them has a unique story behind. I am very pleased with my space. I love it! I am very blessed. .... and so I am off to my new project now... Back to school.... that's really going to be hard ;) Thank you all, once again.
    ...See More

major help required for boring living room

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi! Here is a product called tempaper (temporary wallpaper) that is easy to install and would look great in your area: http://deciture.com/shop/decor/home-decorators-collection/bella-tempaper-wallpaper/ http://deciture.com/shop/decor/home-decorators-collection/damsel-tempaper-wallpaper-collection/
    ...See More

Any ideas how to modernise this living room ?

Q

Comments (8)
    the place is due to be painted next month..would it be OK to paint all the walls white then add colour in just with accessories like rugs, plants, cushions, lamps etc or should I be painting in colours and doing feature walls etc...I've always liked a white and blue beachy type theme if this would work with this room ?
    ...See More

Looking for Ideas for Kitchen/Living Room

Q

Comments (12)
    Two ideas. Both times I would block up the entrance to the second half of the room to make more usuable space. Both ideas have a island with a dining table attached. Obviously these drawings are not to scale but everything should fit in. I would utilise the kitchen cuboards for utilities- intergrated appliances. If you can dont forget to use the space under your stairs as well. Also use the long wall at the bottom of the stairs for extra storage and alcoves.
    ...See More
  • Monique Elliott
    10 years ago
    I agree with the others, the thing in the corner should be raised so it catches your eye more-so. The mantle does need some visual interest. A few small to medium pieces of varying heights would work nicely. The couch pillows would look better if you add some muted color accents to them or added some pillows with some very dramatic texture. The blank left wall would be more interesting with a few small art pieces done in a collage.
    hickeyraquel thanked Monique Elliott
  • hickeyraquel thanked User
  • mountie
    10 years ago
    Rooms are lovely and restful but I think some added color is needed for interest. Some accents (pillows) in jewel tones of deep blue, plum, emerald would be nice. I'd like to see some art work in the same or brighter colors.
    hickeyraquel thanked mountie
  • M Haak
    10 years ago
    I read once that every room should contain green. I ALWAYS use a plant/flowers, there are some great artificial ones available. It will really lift the room!!
    hickeyraquel thanked M Haak
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    I was going to say that adding a tree, such as a ficus or a palm in each room would add greatly and tie both rooms together. I would always opt for a live plant.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Would love to see more pix of your space and items. Comment on this post and use the AI button below the comment box to post additional photos. Agree with all about the "thing" which is interesting but misplaced in the corner. That French chair in the dining room would be perfect in its place instead, with the floor lamp as well. I'm guessing the bookcase in the dining room could use styling but we can't see it. Try 1/3 books, 1/3 decor items and 1/3 open space. Would love to see the chandeliers lowered a bit. They'd look nice with the lights (candles) below the level of the crown. Dining chandys can be below the 36" level over the table and the one in the living room deserves to be seen completely in the mirror when you are standing. Since it is above the coffee table it shouldn't present a head bumping situation. Nice bones to work with and your paint selection is great.
    hickeyraquel thanked decoenthusiaste
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi All. Thank you all very much for your thoughts, advice, ideas, suggestions and taking the time to be here and helping me out. It is much appreciate.

For the last day I was reading all your comments and liked each and every one of them and this is what I came out with so far...Please keep in mind the my paintings (one for the main wall and one under the picture light in the alcove are still in transit and will be home in a month and so are my books, my bronze statues and some mexican ceramic that will go on the coffee table).

I would love to hear what you think? I do value each and every one of your thought.

I attach some photos: -
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    one more photo
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How do I submit few photos at the same time?
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    I would move the end table and put it next to the other side of the couch with the lamp. It visually blocks the room when you walk in. I would remove the other chair too but I would separate the two matching chairs and put the other one where the chair that you will remove is. Separate the two matching chairs on either side of the table. It will open the room.
    hickeyraquel thanked tennisanyone
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I can not put the table along side of the sofa as there is a door there to the hall. TXS
  • tbbb
    10 years ago
    Take your two white chairs to the other side of the table leaving a space between them. Then move your couch parallel to the chairs on the opposite side of the table. Create a nice warm inviting place to sit enjoy fireplace or entertain. Bring everything in to hold the space
    hickeyraquel thanked tbbb
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    OK but I would still remove it and separate the beige chairs. You can always move them back if you hate it.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    this pic shows the reverse of yr space
    posted for inspiration
    Elevated Elegance in the Panhandle · More Info
    hickeyraquel thanked anne dee
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    anne dee - please have a look at the photos at the start of the tread, as well as / https://www.houzz.com/discussions/any-ideas-for-final-touches-to-this-living-dinning-room-dsvw-vd~569578
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Now that everything is in view, I'd take your two cream colored chairs and flank the FP with them. Move the pair of French chairs to the window area where they'll be right at home with the puddled drapes. Try that rectangular table between them and set them squared up with it, not angled. I'd like to see a pair of beautiful bookcases flanking the FP and the art hanging over the sofa, but we can't really see what the subject matter is. I'm thinking it may be a tapestry.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    I was at the other thread but I lost it !
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    hickeyraquel, to submit more than one at a time you'll see "Attach Images" on the bottom left of your comment- click on that, hit browse and go to your own picture folder and double click, it will download your picture and then give you another opportunity to download. I think you can do four per comment.

I really like the changes since the first pictures (on the other thread) but it's still a work in progress. Have you tried putting the white chairs at an angle on either side of the sofa, tucked in a bit to allow for passage through the door, and a French chair at an angle on either side of the fireplace? You could try the same in reverse, the French chairs on either side of the sofa and the white chairs flanking the fireplace. Just a thought...
    hickeyraquel thanked User
  • narsis1987
    10 years ago
    maybe use some colorful flowers or green natural elemens in your room,i think will be better
    hickeyraquel thanked narsis1987
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like it. The only things I would remove now are the lamp in between the table and the little table by the window so the eye flows right out at the view.
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    bluenan - here are some photos per your suggestion . any thought ?
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There are one table behind the other and I may just move the card table at the back to the alcove.
  • sudrabin
    10 years ago
    I think a nice large palm in the right corner as well as a piece of art in the left corner with a gold frame to pick. Up the one already in the room.
    hickeyraquel thanked sudrabin
  • User
    10 years ago
    My thoughts exactly with the two tables. I like it! I would suggest you try the white chairs back a bit, or not angled quite so much so they don't overlap the French chairs. You probably are trying to keep them on the rug, so try to pull the chair on the right of the fireplace in a little closer to the mantle. The French chairs could go back a bit farther also if you remove the far table. I'm just talking about a little tweaking. What do you think about the arrangement?
  • hbmiller
    10 years ago
    What about the two pink chairs on the left by the dark art and a white chair on each end of the coffee table. Is the rug centered in the room, it looks like it is closer to the window wall.
    hickeyraquel thanked hbmiller
  • User
    10 years ago
    Good point about centering hbmiller. The sofa and rug should be centered on the fireplace. Now I can see where the sofa has been moved down to make a space for the side table. She doesn't want the side table on the other side because that would make both side tables too close together. Hmmmm. I know what you mean about putting the pink chairs by the dark art, but that would take them out of the conversation area. Perhaps the side table by the sofa is just too big and the space needs something smaller. How much space do you have for a side table if the sofa is centered on the fireplace?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Hickeyraquel, I know you had mentioned you thought there was too much wood in the room, maybe you could find a small metal side table something like the picture below, to use to the right of the sofa, or in-between the pink chairs (moved back into the bay a bit) and move the wood side table to the left of the centered sofa with the lamp on it. You could then move the dark table that's in the bay to the alcove to the right of the fireplace and use the other lamp there. You would be giving up one of your wood side tables.
    DC Design House 2012 · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Preferred the sofa aligned with the FP and the two upholstered chairs should be snugged in to the FP. I was thinking the card table would work between the two French chairs but it may be too tall. Try taking them into the bay window for a quiet little "tete-a-tete" area. If you are concerned about too much wood, consider getting smaller glass end tables.
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just rearranged the furniture and this is what came up;-
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    also, I attach a photo of the hall; How shell I hang the art work ; here are the options; TXS
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I like the way you arranged them in first photo (horizontal one in middle of other two) Great art by the way. And beautiful space!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Hi there- I have a couple of little suggestions for the living room arrangement. If you pull the coffee table closer in to the sofa, it doesn't need to be centered on the rug, it will be more useful. Where it is would make it hard to set down a drink or book without getting up. Then push the white chairs back and closer to the fireplace, more like the example below. You might eventually get some small tables for either side of the white chairs. Making those small adjustments will allow for more ease of movement through the room. Love your art as well, and agree with the first arrangement. I just love your space!
    Northway · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Living room looks good and I'm glad you found the right spot for the card table. Again, snuggle the two chairs closer to the FP so you can walk between them and the coffee table. CT should be 18" from the sofa for usefulness, as bluenan reminded. As for the art; any chance you can switch the frames so the two vertical pieces have the same frame? Will they be similar in size if you do that? I'd like to see the two verticals with matching frames flank the horizontal with the lighter frame.
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Dear all, Bluenan, decoentusiaste..... First, thank you so much once again. I am overwhelmed by the response from you and all the other contributors.
    As for the furniture arrangement - I think we have a winner.. attached photos

I love my space now, although there is still some work to be done but that will be in a later stage ...
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    and this is before -
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    and dinning room -
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ;) THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH
  • User
    10 years ago
    You are so welcome, it's so much fun to help, and the final arrangement looks great! I love your gorgeous mirror and the art propped up against it is perfect! So interesting to see the before. Your mix of formal architecture and furnishings and personal, more primitive art collected from your travels is the best kind of blending of styles. I have room envy!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Lovely solution! Anytime - we love seeing happily solved dilemmas! Come back again when you have a question or more pix to share.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    DING DING DING You DO have a winner! I am quite impressed! Enjoy your NEW home!
    hickeyraquel thanked abbyjean
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    Beautiful.
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I could not have done it with YOU ;) Good night
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    bluenan, decoenthusiaste, spacial TXS.
  • hbmiller
    10 years ago
    It looks really beautiful!
    hickeyraquel thanked hbmiller
  • hickeyraquel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    DONE!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Love your art, everything looks great, enjoy!!
  • papoodles
    10 years ago
    Soo beautiful; exquisite and refined; love it.
    hickeyraquel thanked papoodles
  • jimhallxx
    10 years ago
    The trim in your rooms is outstanding. To "tie the rooms together", the one thing I would do is install chair rail the same color as the existing trim. The horizontal lines of chair rail will move the eye around the room and into the next room creating a flow. Chair rail is relatively inexpensive, easy to install and would be wonderful compliment to your existing beautiful trim.
    hickeyraquel thanked jimhallxx
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.