10 years ago
how to design patio to avoid pet urine smell

Comments (17)

• User
    10 years ago
    How about a no pet rule;)
  • Elizabeth Woodfield
    10 years ago
    Is the pet yours? Or someone else's? If it is yours, you should be able to completely control that situation. If it is someone else's pet, then you need to meet with them and discuss the situation.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    How about no patio, pdodd?
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Could be a sleep-walking neighbor?
  • User
    10 years ago
    If it's a cat, you can't control it. If it's a dog, provide walks. Build out of materials that can be hosed down.
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    judiwithani- I can't think of a scenario where a cat would choose to urinate on a porch?
  • PRO
    Five Star Kitchens
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This will require some maintenence, but better this than urine. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cat-Repellent

Also, check out: http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/diy-cat-deterrents.htm
  • User
    10 years ago
    Put up a nanny am to see what is doing it.
  • hatetoshop
    10 years ago
    There are sprays available at the pet store to deter cats from the area. Also heard that half full water bottles strewn about make cats avoid the area. Doesn't look so great though. Agree with ASVInteriors -- it is probably the surrounding area and not the patio (if it's concrete or stone).
  • Sigrid
    10 years ago
    You can get motion sensors to hook up to a hose/sprayer to deter animals from getting on your patio. Most animals that mark territory do it on uprights, so a flat surface should be fine.

If the pet is yours, watch and do something deterring (spray water, if they don't like it) while yelling angrily when you catch them in the act. Keep watching and say something approving when they pee in a place that's okay or leave the patio. You need to do the praise, otherwise, the animal might conclude that you don't want them to pee, which they can't exactly avoid, rather than you don't want them peeing on your patio.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Get a mechanical toy to roam around the patio saying, oh, Howdy goo goo over and over. That might keep the cats away, hey, Karemore?
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Not a mechanical toy, Chook - a MARVELOUS
  • User
    10 years ago
    Lime under the house is supposed to deter cats here.
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Would lemons work?
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    Dogs on the patio deters cats here, Chook.
  • HU-868676770
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Lemon blossoms smell a lot gardenias.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.