jeannie_nguyen

Black Rooms. Yes or No?

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
Are you a fan of black rooms?

What are your thoughts? Would you paint one of your rooms black? If so, which one?

Vallejo Street Highrise · More Info
YES - I think it looks so chic.
NO - It's too dark!
NEUTRAL - Doesn't matter to me.

Comments (128)

• PRO
    Troy Willingham Designs
    10 years ago
    lkdrew-The people telling you to leave your room the way it is, or just put a few black things in it and you will be happy, didn't really read your question. If you were happy with your current scheme, you would not have ventured the question. Your room is nice, and if they love that look, let them use it, but don't let them kill your creative instinct. Even someone who says she painted a large chunk of black in her house, and loves it, advises you against it !?
    Also, if you want a black room, the addition of a couple of black accessories won't do it. It just won't. Try it, you'll see.
    TROYWDESIGNS
  • Revivalgirl Heavanbound
    10 years ago
    I've seen one very successful black wall papered room. A morning room with 12 ceiling and 10ft windows and the wall paper had stick drawings in neon of out patio furniture. I believe the wall paper was done in the 60s but was very striking
  • Related Discussions

black door/cream windows /red brick porch

Q

Comments (5)
    its not a room . its a house been built , and the windows im thinking of are cream with a black door. so im trying to match wall & sill colour
    ...See More

black and white wallpaper, what colour paint for living room??

Q

Comments (2)
    I think that better colors would be gray (more or less light, depending on how large is your room) or white. Other colors that match with a mix of black and white would be strong colors as red or green, but I think they are too colorfully to pain living walls. In my opinion the best one is white, although it sounds banal, but it would emphasize your wallpaper and wouldn't condicionate the rest of the decoration.
    ...See More

Laminate wood flooring throughout? Yes or no

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Cherry, we went with the laminate throughout the house and it turned out absolutely stunning. To be honest it's such good quality I don't think of it as laminate and everyone who visits thinks it's solid wood. It won't look like laminate if it's a good quality brand and you use a thick underlay. Using it throughout the house makes the rooms flow and makes the spaces feel bigger. It's also really easy to maintain unlike shiny glossy tiles! Good luck!
    ...See More

Thinking of painting a shaker kitchen grey ! Splash back granite black

Q

Comments (1)
    You could do gray if you change the walls to a white Bm simply white for walls Bm decorators white for ceilings and trim gray inspiration in pic below, if you have an island do it a deeper tone of gray than all other cabinets to ground the island to the room
    ...See More
  • quatorze
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I will say that one of the most beautiful rooms I have ever seen was painted all matte black.

It was in a small, but elegant NYC apartment; the living room was furnished with a honey mahogany and gilt bronze mounted Empire daybed with a black velvet fitted spread and crimson silk pillows as the sofa, two Louis XV grey-painted open-armed wood armchairs which were upholstered in black patent leather, a tall mahogany and glass paneled screen, a couple of small occasional tables with marble tops and gilt bronze mounts, supporting a bouillotte lamp, a few leather-bound books and a few well-chosen/edited ornaments, two pieces of art, oil paintings - one above the dark marble bolection molding fireplace and the other hung by a black grosgrain ribbon on the face of the screen, a gilt bronze cartel wall clock and a bronze and crystal chandelier. The curtains were ceiling to floor length dark charcoal moire silk on windows behind and to one side of the daybed. It was seen at night by artificial and candle light, at a cocktail party. The room, fitted out by and for a gentleman, was absolutely astounding. The guests almost became art themselves in that superbly thought-out room.

When the right furnishings are chosen, black is great - like the dark velvets jewelers use to display the finest gems. If the furniture and art are mediocre, then the whole scheme can fall flat.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Quatorze, You are correct. Quality furnishing, a creative mind, and hard work are the requirements for creating these truly unique rooms.
  • quatorze
    10 years ago
    As in most good things in life...

Using black in painting interiors is especially demanding, it leaves little wiggle room for mistakes. When handled with conviction, it is amazing.
  • mljochim
    10 years ago
    love it! I painted my large hall bath black and stenciled the walls in metallic silver damask. Fabulous, if I do say so myself! (although everyone thought I'd lost my mind when I first started)
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    To troy design. thanks for the comments. I had just switched rooms again. .the room was especially "bare and clean".The mantle is an ongoing issue as it is either too much or not enough. I only love the sculpture above. I stepped out of the safe zone a long time ago...I am the one with the "Petrified wood" counters.. you can search for it and see. It is almost finished.
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 years ago
    These can look great depending on the furnishings for the room.
  • Lydia Maranto
    10 years ago
    Looks very stylish, very artistic, but I don't think I have ever seen a black room that I would be comfortable in for more than a few minutes! I just want to escape. I feel the same way in a very cluttered space or a room without windows or with windows only above eye level or covered with draperies. But I know many people love "cave-like" spaces that I find oppressive.
    Only saying this because the article asked if we would like a black room. The one displayed is quite attractive, as long as I don't have to go in!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Black in a room reminds me of the 'Little Black Dress' that is so .......... smart. Depends how it is used and the overall design of the entire room with color and texture and 'jewelry'.
  • Kim ROe
    10 years ago
    abso effing lutely!!!!! so sex and the city,,!! also I find it a retreat and relaxing and cuddly and sexy all in one.. Even a little Hugh hefner PJ'S (on a woman).. and Wham...... stunning all the way around..from martinis to hot chocolate got it all going on....!!!!... LOVE... can you tell!
  • Kim ROe
    10 years ago
    that was meant for Vallejo street highrise....!
  • quatorze
    10 years ago
    I had mentioned this post, and memory of that fabulous black room, to the friend who had taken me to that cocktail party long ago. She noted that the owner had been inspired by a spread in Architectural Digest, since so many of his furnishings were similar to the items in the photo spread. She then noted that the photos were published in 1979 in a book, "Architectural Digest, Traditional Interiors" She had the book, (which is still available as a good used book on Amazon and in used bookstores) and lent it to me to scan. Here are the few images that were the genesis of the inspiration. It seems that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...
  • quatorze
    10 years ago
    And since we are on the subject, perhaps one of the readers can help me with a lead on where to find a large patterned, heavy black damask fabric, that I have been searching for, off and on, for years.
  • quatorze
    10 years ago
    Just some more pix of black, from my image archives.
  • Sylke Clark
    10 years ago
    The amount of natural light is the key. If the room has large unobstructed windows and a sky light I believe it can work. No matter how classy and elegant the set-up, colors and light affect your mood. Is the room too dark it soon may feel oppressive and make you feel all gloomy.
  • PRO
    Pam Ozment Designs
    10 years ago
    If you understanding lighting principles (both natural, and artificial) it is hard to go wrong.
    It is just FAB, but only for those with design savvy who appreciate elegance and drama.
  • Jessica Hyde
    10 years ago
    My husband and I just painted our office with Sherwin Williams' Peppercorn, a warm charcoal. My extended family thinks we're crazy but it is a very elegant look and we love it! We are going to add white crown molding but here is what it looks like so far.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Jessica Hyde
  • Patra Madden
    10 years ago
    I painted my kitchen ceiling gloss black - white cabinets, sheet glass backsplash with red tissue paper adhered to the reverse. Black counter, oak floors. Looks great but I'm getting ready to redo.
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    I do love black & use it in nearly every room, but I wouldn't paint every wall in a room black. Plus it depends on how much light that room gets.
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Perhaps a black, accent wall, but probably not an entire room.
  • Heather Godsey-Davis
    10 years ago
    Not in my house. It is a very nice look, just not my taste
  • newlifewoman
    10 years ago
    I think the cabinets are gorgeous, but it is a too Addams's family or Count Dracula with the black walls as well. Perhaps if the sofa weren't also dark. I do think the styling of the beautiful cabinets would be better served without animal skin chairs.
  • quatorze
    10 years ago
    Patra Madden: Pictures of your kitchen...please. Sounds great.
  • PRO
    Pam Ozment Designs
    10 years ago
    A nod to Count Dracula's sophistication..... He was actually more fearful of Pottery Barn than garlic!
  • J J
    10 years ago
    Yes! I love black on high ceilings ! Considering black for my bathroom too
  • newlifewoman
    10 years ago
    I do believe Count Dracula had great taste. I love the décor style in a mahogany or walnut shade though.
  • PRO
    Pam Ozment Designs
    10 years ago
    You are right. I guess that's why there is chocolate and vanilla, and in Count Dracula's case,
    A negative and O positive! ;-D
  • User
    10 years ago
    Ikdrew don't do it
  • User
    10 years ago
    Like living in a cave!
  • Lidia
    10 years ago
    What is more elegant then black . . . Besides white? Not your style, fine but is works and it's for the confident.
  • PRO
    digs inside & out
    10 years ago
    ABSOLUTELY YES!
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    10 years ago
    FOR SURE YES!!!!! BLACK GOES WELL ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE!
  • pattybro
    10 years ago
    Love it my kitchen is white, black and grey cupboards.
  • Lisa Richter Pulst
    10 years ago
    Love that room, but can't picture black in my current home. Maybe a bathroom with the white fixtures?
  • PRO
    Divine' Interiors
    10 years ago
    Very daring, masculine. I love black interiors.
  • Terri Clark
    10 years ago
    I had a huge master bath in my previous house and it seemed like a cavern. I couldn't get it to feel anything but cold. So, I painted it black and used tiffany blue accents. Best room I ever did. I loved it!
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    No black rooms for me. Unless I'm dead.
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    Black can be very effective, but it can also be hard to live with. It is important to ensure that a home that features black spaces (perhaps elegant entertainment areas) also offers bright spaces for daily living--and suitable transitions so that the house doesn't look like it has a split personalty ;-)
  • PRO
    KURTINZ.COM
    10 years ago
    Agree with you Garden Oaks.. If you choose black for your room make sure you can mix light color on it.
  • hasinajiwani
    10 years ago
    I love the look, I think the blue sofa looks fabulous. I would certainly do a den in black and perhaps even a powder rm. Maybe I am just talking bravely because at the moment I am trying to convince myself that the oodles and oodles of black wool gaberdine I have will make smashing upholstry for my family room sofa, chair and ottoman? BTW newlifewoman, I believe you are right, my friend showed me some pics. of Count Dracula's castle in Romania and I love what he has done with the place!
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think black walls should only be used in historic or contemporary homes with very high ceilings (and mouldings). And off set with white (abstract artwork, cabinetry, doors or trim for example). Also best used in smaller and preferably symmetrical spaces. Occasionally it can work in a mid century house but you have to have the right furniture, lighting and artwork to pull it off. Have never done one but have imagined several in my mind. One day the right client and space will show up and I can't wait!

• PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    7 years ago

Yes, I would and yes, I have.

Transitional Cottage in Pasadena · More Info

• PRO
    The Joshua Tree Vanities
    7 years ago

some like it, others not that much

• PRO
    Divine' Interiors
    7 years ago
    Love, Love Black rooms very sophisticated and sexy to me. I'd paint my guest bath, media room or master bedroom & bath.
  • Belahn
    7 years ago

Any color can be good if it's done right. Key is "done right"! This looks good, not like my brother's old black painted bedroom in the 70s. Gross.

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    7 years ago

I love a black room! I think most people are scared to paint a room black, but it actually gives a space a sophisticated, rich look. Especially if you have light furniture!

• drpjsmit
    7 years ago

Black as an accent colour is stylish! Too much black is just too much!

• PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    7 years ago

Black (actually, I prefer various shades of grey/charcoal) can be sophisticated...or destined for psychedelic posters and a black light. Pulling it off takes skill. For myself, I could not live with it through all my various daily moods - some moods just don't go with sophisticated drama. For clients thinking in this direction, I put them through their paces, thinking about how they actually live versus that "look" from that magazine. Clients who have room to create multiple environments that span the full range of lifestyle can go there successfully. But, in my view, those with a smaller space may find black walls to be limiting, and a use of black accents more appropriate.

• tooky58
    7 years ago

I could see painting an inner room black ie library or reading room with 1 or 2 nooks built-in with skylights above the nooks and 1 or 2 large skylights in the ceiling. I'd have hot pink, purple, fuschia and turquoise furniture to pick from (not all in the same room but then again...). I'd wallpaper the back of the bookcase/display cabinets with those same colors to bring in bright color. I'd treat it as a neutral.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.