fionn_anne

Are there design rules for width of architrave versus height of skirt

Fionnuala Coburn
10 years ago
I'm putting in 6 inch skirting boards in my house renovation but in order to keep the architraves consistent I can only afford 3 inch on these (some doors are just too close to corners etc.) Will this look OK or will the architrave look skimpy? I don't want to reduce the skirting height as I think 6 inches is perfect. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I feel 3" is skimpy and not a good visual formula. 4" would be 2/3 of the 6" and visually more balanced and appealing.
    Fionnuala Coburn thanked User
  • PRO
    Catherine Belan
    10 years ago
    Typically go with the four inch, then on those short situations it goes all the way into the corner, whatever the dimension. You don't want to select your jamb trim based on worst case scenario.

Can you select another trim style that will be less expensive but four inch width?
    Fionnuala Coburn thanked Catherine Belan
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.