mm128

Hallway project - panelling, ceiling and coving

M M
last month

Hi,

I’m planning to decorate my hallway and have a couple of questions it would be great to get advice on:

I will fit wood panelling in the lower third of the wall and I’m thinking of painting this, the skirting and the architrave all the same colour - likely a dark blue (although still not sure on this). Similar to this:

Which is:

https://craigandrose.com/products/1829-lido-blue
Or
https://craigandrose.com/products/1829-payne-s-grey

For the walls I think a warm white. I’ve not found many examples online of blue and white panelling and walls. The panelling usually seems to be lighter or in a few cases black.

The architrave and skirting in my other rooms are different colour - will this be strange?

I’m not sure if the ceiling colour should be the same as the wall colour or a more white white? If it’s the same as the wall colour should the coving also be the same? Or a brighter white?

My hallway has no windows(although there are two transom windows in the door frames so can be dark, but the ceilings are high.

There are two wall lamps that I plan to replace. I was thinking something like this but my light fittings might be a little high for a light which goes up the way.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• rinked
    last month
    last modified: last month

For hallways i personally think dark above and light colour below looks better. Combined with offwhite trims. Your inspiration photo looks quite creative though, i like creative. :)

Walls and ceiling in the same colour is fine.

Квартира в центре Москвы · More Info

Glencoe · More Info

Kingston upon Thames · More Info

Rénovation colorée pour cet appartement - Projet Rocher · More Info

• minnie101
    last month

I think what you suggest will look great

Have you tested the colours? Maybe something antad lighter could work? The first one is De Nimes Farrow and Ball

• M M
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you!

I have painted some test patches on the wall (they just photograph as black though)

a lighter colour could be good. Or switching it the darker above and lighter below. The reason I was thinking dark panelling and woodwork is because
    there are two stained glass doors which I want to paint. I thought dark blue would be a good colour for those which lead to the panelling being the same colour. I do think it might be too dark. Could be hard to know until it’s done 😆

The other doors will be natural wood.

I do like the farrow and ball colour you suggested! It might be too similar to my living room colour or it could complement it really well.

https://craigandrose.com/products/1829-french-turquoise

Less keen on the grey although I did try farrow and ball French grey which was also nice.

My original thought was a dark green but there’s a lot of that elsewhere in the house

• rinked
    last month

Random fun

• minnie101
    last month

Sorry I was admiring your art and didnt see the testers!

I personally wouldn’t go dark above tbh, it will close the room in, lighter above tends to open it up plus most knocks tend to occur lower down which a dark colour may disguise to some extent

A greyed green blue could work, may also be worth looking at inchrya blue although may be too dark. If it is, oval room blue may be worth a look

• M M
    Original Author
    last month

Haha thank you :)

I’ll get some samples of some different grey blues which are lighter than the ones I have.

I think the walls will look good a warm white.

I’ve usually always painted the ceiling and cornicing a big standard white but wondering if I should use the same white all over, or possibly paint the cornicing matching the panelling

• minnie101
    last month

That 2nd photo i shared had darker cornicing, I don’t dislike it but would personally prefer to draw attention to the panelling. The same colour ceiling would work or look at Little Greene, Paint and Paper Library where they have colour scales although tbh the same colour on the ceiling will likely look a shade darker anyway!

• M M
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks!

Just been having a look at those farrow and ball colours. Lighter might be better than the very dark blue I was suggesting but I think they might be too similar to my living room colour and things will start to look same-y! Not easy picking a colour that runs into all the rooms 😅

Photo for reference. It’s Craig and rose French turquoise - looks similar to Inchyra blue

• M M
    Original Author
    last month

Got some F&B samples:

• Railings
    • Hague Blue
    • De Nimes

The colours do look better than the Craig and rose ones I had:

Now I just need to pick one 😃

• PRO
    Piur & Co interior design
    last month

Hi, what kind of mood do you want to achieve in the hallway, there are a toon of options that would look great, but the question is what would be your desired result in regards to the vibe, and mood?

also the rest of the house, does each room have its own personality, or is there a common thread that brings everything together and makes your home cohesive?

I think That is a more important question to ask yourself, in the beginning. Rooms don't exist on their own but are part of the whole, and you transition through spaces.

Also, each colour does have a psychological effect on how people feel in the space Or are more inclined to feel.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.