webuser_140585496

hardened cooking oil (sunflower) on my glass windows

betty
2 months ago

We've tried hot water, fairy, cream cleaner and we can't remove it. Any advice please?

Thank you

Comments (9)

• Picasso
    2 months ago

I’d go with the scraper but a steam cleaner may also work. It got rid of ancient stubborn black spots in my oven and may well work here too.

betty thanked Picasso
  • Sonia
    2 months ago

Method glass cleaner is good but I’ve never tried it on oil.

betty thanked Sonia
  • betty
    Original Author
    2 months ago

My window cleaner actually tried glass scraper, it didn't work and just broke. Was that the quality of the scraper though?

I have a steamer I shall try that.

• Picasso
    2 months ago

Do let us know if it works! Otherwise try meths?

betty thanked Picasso
  • Jonathan
    last month

Don’t use the steamer if it’s cold out as you might crack the glass

betty thanked Jonathan
  • Angie
    last month

Citric acid might do the trick, along with a scraper. You can dissolve it in just boiled water, or apply the crystals with a damp cloth. The latter is worth a go, leaving it on for half an hour or so, if you can get it to stay out, then wipe away. Fingers crossed for you.

betty thanked Angie
  • PRO
    SPEAK
    last month

Hi Betty,

Hope you get this issue resolved

A few tips for you:

- Avoid working in direct sunlight, the reason for this is because the heat from the sunlight dries whatever cleaner you use before it is properly removed.

- Avoid using abrasive cleaners, scratch pads on window glass surfaces because this can lead to the appearance of fine scratch marks.

A few options of gentle cleaning methods to try:

This is apparently a miracle go to product: https://www.diy.com/departments/zinsser-universal-degreaser-stain-remover-and-cleaner-spray-750ml/5037898612539_BQ.prd?pp=0

- Option 1:

Make a mixture of water and white vinegar in a 1:1 ratio. Spray this combination directly on your window. Then wipe it clean. Repeat this step until you see that the dirt is completely gone.

When you finish cleaning the spots on your window, use again the vinegar mixture to polish the entire surface of the glass window. Mist the window with the vinegar solution and wipe it with a paper towel. This vinegar solution achieves great results in cleaning oil marks from glass windows. The combination of lemon and vinegar is also really effective for stubborn oily stains.

- Option 2:

2 cups of warm water and several drops of dish detergent (Fairy Green is best). Use again paper towels to clean the oil spots with this solution. Dip a paper towel in the mixture and wipe the greasy area with it. When you are scrubbing the glass do circular motions. It’s important to focus only on the oily hardened spots so that it isn’t smeared on other parts of the glass surface.

- Option 3:

Combination of corn-starch and vinegar. Combine equal parts vinegar and water, add a teaspoon of corn-starch to it. Get a cloth and rub the hardened greasy stains. Wipe clean with a dry cloth.

- Option 4:

Mix ¼ cup baking soda in a bowl and add water to it. When you are pouring the water, stir constantly until the mixture forms a paste. Get a soft sponge and use it to scoop some amount of the baking soda paste. Then scrub the glass gently with the sponge by making circular motions. Leave the paste to work for 10-15 min. Get a wet sponge and wipe the baking soda paste. When you are ready, get a paper towel and wipe the window.

Lemon juice is also known to break down greasy stains, but do not overdue this process as it is also very acidic.

Hope these suggestions help!

Warm and best wishes

Team SPEAK

betty thanked SPEAK
  • betty
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you all. My window cleaner kindly came back to clean it, he used a new scraper which worked wonders.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.