silvana_pereira

Portuguese kitchen renovation or refresh

Silvana Pereira
3 months ago

Hi, we just moved to a family home in a village in Portugal. As cute as the kitchen is, the cupboards are falling apart and the oven is faulty. I will be getting new cupboards but I do not know what to do about the tiles. Also not sure if the colour of the new cupboards is ok. Just have no clue. Seems too expensive to redo the tiling but they i think they are so dated. Or are they cute and vernacular? Don’t know what to do without breaking the bank. I am attaching a picture of the cabinet and granite colours (there is time to still change them) and also what I wish the kitchen looked like.

style that I like
new cupboards

Comments (3)

• chloeloves
    3 months ago

I think the tiles have to go if you want to achieve a sleek contemporary look like your inspiration picture however it seems the entire room is tiled so it will be an expensive change. You could remove all the tiles and have the walls skimmed over with plaster and then just have new tiles on splashback. A cheap option would be to paint over the existing tiles or you may be able to just paint over the decorative tiles and finish with a paint finish to match the plainer tiles but you would need some artsy skills. I like the wood effect doors, maybe keep looking for a simpler less busy work surface that looks more like poured concrete.

• Isla Cherry
    3 months ago

i think I would start with replacing the floor. Those wavy edged tiles are going to clash with a new sleek kitchen. You have a choice to do it all or just paint the doors, get a new range cooker, replace that massive extractor with something smaller and sleeker. I'm pretty sure the doors are solid wood not wood effect. The style is very ornate and quite cottagey and modern won't sit comfortably alongside it. I would rather get rid of all the tiling and buy a modern kitchen and appliances if thats what you truly want. I would also consider your motivation. Are you happy with the layout and how long do you intend to live in it? You should answer these questions before spending a lot of money.

• Jonathan
    3 months ago

I think you just need to decide what budget is available. If your budget is healthy then get in a company to rip everything out and start again. When everything is out of date or broken then any halfway fix is a compromise.

If you do get to start again there are some economies of getting everything done at the same time- you also have the opportunity to replan- personally I would have kitchen cabinets where the table is and move the table to near the door. I would also consider adding patio doors to add light to the space.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.