seren71

Bora Hob - surface mounted or flush?

seren71
3 months ago

Hello,

I’m about to have my worktop templated and the company wants to know if I want the Bora Pure hob flush or surface mounted.

They said flush can end up looking a bit messy as you have to leave an expansion gap but I do like the look better than surface mounted.

I’m also worried that the edge of the hob might get damaged if it’s surface mounted.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• Isla Cherry
    3 months ago

I prefer flush mounted. Less muck to clean in the join. My induction hob is Novy and is slightly proud of the quartz worksurface. There is a video on youtube on how to install the Bora Pure. It's in German but there are subtitles. That might help you decide.

• PRO
    Luke BORA ASM London
    3 months ago

Flush is a great option as it looks great & also means the edge of the glass is protected. I would recommend using this silicone for sealing the hob in. ... https://www.isaaclord.co.uk/product/ottoseal-silicone-matt-black/ 

• seren71
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks for the replies. My quartz installer told me I need to leave a 3mm gap around the edge of the hob to allow for expansion - is this correct? He also said he wouldn’t use silicone to seal it as the hob becomes impossible to remove if it ever needs repairs and the seal can end up looking messy over time. Any thoughts? Thanks again. 😊

• Isla Cherry
    3 months ago

I would check this first with a call to the manufacturer or do a few searches. Sounds odd to me with an induction hob. What expansion?

• Isla Cherry
    3 months ago

As induction heats the pan rather than the hob not sure how the hob could expand? Check your quartz installer too, doesn't sound right. After a few years a child could pull the silicone away from a joint so not sure what type of silicone he is using. I have had three quartz worktops in three different houses and the silicone shrinks and pulls up easily after a year or two.

• seren71
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I’ve had a quick look at the hob manufacturer installation instructions and it recommends a 2mm gap around the hob which should then be filled with Matt black silicone. I think the worry I have is now the quartz company has said they don’t recommend flush mounted, and if I go for it anyway, and it’s a mess, they’re just going to say well we warned you…and then I’ll have a battle on my hands. The hob cost a bomb and so is the quartz so I’m really nervous about making a mistake

• Jonathan
    3 months ago

They are trying to get out of doing a more complicated and time consuming job. If you decide on surface mounted you should ask for a discount. Personally I prefer flush mounted, I have clear silicone which against the hob looks nearly black and in my opinion is nicer than black silicone.

And I think silicone gets damaged by cleaners that contain limescale removers and bleach and this it is why some people need to replace it from time to time. Mine looks the same as three years ago when it was installed but I don’t use a strong cleaner in my kitchen.

• seren71
    Original Author
    3 months ago

They did admit it was a much fiddlier job to do flush and have given me a cheaper quote for surface mounted so I do think they’re being straight with me. It’s just got me nervous I suppose - the quartz and the job are so expensive!

• seren71
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Hob not job!

• Jen
    3 months ago

I too have a strong suspicion that they seem to be trying to coax you into agreeing to the surface mounting because it is simpler and quicker for them. It seems entirely reasonable to ask for a discount on the surface mount option, as Jonathan advices. (And I also agree about the use of clear silicone rather than matt black)

• seren71
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks for the comment - they have given me a cheaper quote for surface mounted so I don’t think they’re trying to pull a fast one.

• seren71
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks very much for the advice 😊

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.