webuser_322560263

Kitchen Ventilation question

HU-322560263
4 months ago

Hi,
Looking for advice please. Currently renovating our house, and we’ve reached the kitchen installation stage. Installing a dual fuel modern range cooker into a chimney breast alcove.
Our builder couldn’t install a traditional extractor hood above the hob because of a troublesome concrete lintel. So we took the decision to install a circular through-wall exhaust fan high on a wall to the side of the chimney breast to satisfy building regs.
However, our builder has suggested we also install some sort of metal grate in the ceiling of the chimney breast alcove to allow odours to travel straight up the chimney from our cooking and give the fan a helping hand.
We aren’t sure if this is a good idea or not. We don’t think the chimney breast needs venting because it serves two rooms (kitchen and living room), and the living room uses it for a wood burning stove.
Our questions are;

1. Is it a good idea to try and source some sort of grate to allow odours up the chimney, or a waste of time because we have the separate fan on the wall?
  2. If the former, should the grate have a replaceable grease catcher of some sort? We are worried about creating a fire hazard by allowing grease up a chimney that is also used by a wood burner!
  3. If some sort of grate is a good idea, any ideas of where to source one?

Thanks so much for any help.

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.