greyhairedoldman99

Help with hallway wall move!

D P
5 months ago

Hi there,

We are part way through a big extension (actually very small house but half of it had to be knocked down to do it leaving us only two rooms to live in for the last 6 months and no heating so please excuse the mess!). A big part of the improvement needed in the house was the dark narrow corridor from the front door. As you can see from the plan, at the bottom of the new stairs it should be vastly improved (although somehow hasn't actually turned out to have half the space as it looks at the bottom of the stairs), but at the front door it is still very narrow. The plan allows for moving the lounge wall into the lounge 30 cm by the front door (can't go any further because of the window) and thereafter, we can have any kind of dog leg alcove bit and then back out again to get to the new extension. But I'm really struggling with how to do it!

I thought I had settled on a French door type arrangement to let more light in - but now I'm worried about where furniture will go if we lose another wall in there. Long term, the back wall of the lounge will be knocked out to make a new kitchen diner and so it will become a 'corridor' in which to get there.

Alternatively we have just one door? And then where do we have it? Still in the middle of the wall or further away from the front door and more in the far corner of the lounge?

Is the alcove in the middle of the wall the best way to go? Or once we have stepped into the lounge from the hallway do we maybe not step back out again and just carry on in a straight line?

Its a 1930s Gate/Lodge house so small and old, so not looking for anything modern looking. So the next question is what type of door? I was thinking of putting the 1930s one panel over three doors in everywhere, but they don't have a lot of glass (and I don't love the glazed version as much as the solid somehow). So maybe go for the more Victorian 4 panel doors with the top two glass? If doing the French door idea, what would they be??

Ohhh you can tell I'm coming to the end of the build because I have decision fatigue!!

Comments (4)

• D P
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you so much. I quite like the top photo but which style door do you think would go best with them for the rest of the house please? 4 panel or 1930s style?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.