donnablue23

Orangery vs Lean to advice

Donna B
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

Hi all

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. Live in a terrace, end house in a block of 3. we have frech doors separating our living room / dining room from our small ish garden (see photo below)

We have fair amount of space over 3 floors however due to now being a family seriously considering adding an additional room downstairs in what would initially be a playroom. First dilemma was that the garden is small anyway but on weighing it up we dont actually use the section of garden it would be for any real purpose and theres a good 6 + months of the year we dont use the garden anyway whereas we would use the potential new room every day. dimensions would be to come out approx 2.8m and width be about 4.8m.

Options would be either a solid tiled roof lean to with 3 x velux windows and triangular frosted glass windows at both sides with bi fold doors or an orangery with a flat roof and a roof lantern and again with bi fold doors. with both options we would change the external french doors to probably sliding doors to make it more practical.

Lean to would be cheaper for construction and materials however due to our type of house would require building regs and due to this makes the cost of both options similar. My main issue is that our garden is north facing, we dont struggle for light into our living / dining room now but have read that orangery & conservatorys do impact light and dont want to make the main room of the house gloomy. I know roof lanterns are better for light into the rooms they are in but does anyone have any thoughts on which option would be better for light going into the internal living room or has anyone had similar type work done?

Comments (3)

• Jonathan
    7 months ago

Personally I think you should take out much of your current back wall and open the current living room up to the extension. Your plan makes the room that is currently best in the house and makes it windowless - I say make your best room better.

• Donna B
    Original Author
    7 months ago

nice one, something to consider, not sure what the financial implications would be and whether we could do it.

• Jonathan
    7 months ago

If you can’t afford to add the steel then don’t build the extension because you will spend money making your house less saleable.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.