barry_gilbert94

Radiator paint not sticking to bare metal patch

Barry Gilbert
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

I bought V33 Renovation White Satinwood Radiator & Appliance paint in Liffey Valley B & Q to patch up an area on central heating radiator where paint had flaked off to the bare metal. I asked for paint that had in-built primer and was given this, as it states on the tin that "2-in-1 paint which requires no undercoat. High Adhesion for direct to metal application". I scraped off the flaky paint and sanded down to smooth finish and washed, dried and applied the paint to this and surrounding area. When I looked at it an hour later I noticed the paint wasn't sticking to the bare metal area, it just ran off it. So with the brush that had now half dried tacky paint on it I dabbed the paint on this area and it covered it, but 15 mins later it had run off it again. I repeated this several times but same result. I went back to shop and showed photo of this to the girl I bought it off and she suggested it needed a specific primer, even though the tin said it contained it already. So I bought a small thin of Fortress Special Metals Primer. I sanded down, washed, dried and applied primer, but exact same thing happened. I allowed to dry for an hour and applied again with tacky half dried paint and it seemed to take but again after leaving 20 mins you see that it eventually runs off and isn't sticking to the bare metal like it is supposed to! What to do next?

Comment

Ireland
    Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.