webuser_292172749

upvc vs aluminium windows

Tania Awais
10 months ago

Hi everyone

So we are in the process of renovating an old house. We are building a rear extension and need to order around 12 windows , 3 of which are bay windows.

So we were thinking of getting aluminium windows initially , got a few quotes from local suppliers and the total cost is coming around 20K. Needless to say our budget doesn't allow for it , so we were thinking of getting some upvc windows that would go on the side of the house to bring the cost down.

I was just wondering if any of you have done something like this , mixing aluminium and upvc windows in the house. We were thinking of anthracite grey, are they visually very different also will there be a color difference between them if we get both in anthracite grey.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (6)

• Sonia
    10 months ago

Not quite like you, but many years ago we had upvc windows but our sliding patio door was metal, painted white. Not sure what metal though! It looked good and went well.

• Ruth House
    10 months ago

Our new single storey extension has aluminium black bifold doors and kitchen window on white render.  The rest of the house including back bedrooms above the extension have 'window grey' upvc windows (its a pale to mid grey) on the original dirty red brick. We think it looks absolutely fine and that's even with two different colours.  If you get the same RAL colour then it should look the same.

• Ruth House
    10 months ago

I would add, it works for us because the aluminium is unique to the extension and thus not in the same plane as the upvc windows.  I wouldn't mix and match materials on the same plane but I think if they are separate parts of the house it will be fine.  We are happy with both our window styles and it allowed us to keep within budget

• Tania Awais
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Hi Ruth thank you for sharing a picture of your house , this helps a lot :)

• Jo Jones
    10 months ago

We have been updating our windows gradually to pearl grey upvc (which is also called agate grey), but have just had our french doors and the bifolds replaced in aluminium, but in the same colour. On this photo, the doors and ground floor window are all new. The upper windows are the old timber battleship grey and will be replaced in due course!

• Tania Awais
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Hi Jo thank you for your comments , I think we will also go for upvc windows and an aluminium sliding door because it’s much more budget friendly

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.