will_hodgins15

How to solve this wet patch

Will Hodgins
11 months ago

Moved our parents into a new house and this internal wall is in the middle of a bungalow where the loft space is dry as a bone and no pipes anywhere near the top of this wall. After tea tonight, just noticed condensation on the architraving next to this wet patch.
What could be causing it and how could it be fixed?
Went we moved in the wall paper was stripped and cleaned the wall up then decorated for this patch to grow. On the opposite side of the wall, which is single layer brick, is dry as a bone. The room is well ventilated (people in and out all day and door open). Above the wall is loft space which is dry and lift the insulation above the problem area to help dry out but hadn't helped as yet

Comments (7)

• Will Hodgins
    Original Author
    11 months ago

The problem

• User
    11 months ago

I think you need to remove the coving and maybe strip the ceiling paper too

• Jonathan
    11 months ago

Is there a chimney above? Perhaps that needs capping or the flashing needs improving

• Sonia
    11 months ago

It could be a leak from your roof? We had similar in a bedroom and it was a leak from the chimney flashing, as Jonathan suggests. Quite easy for a roofer to fix. We claimed from our house insurance to fix it.

• Will Hodgins
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Chimney has been completely removed. It's just open loft space above it

• User
    11 months ago

I wonder if there's a leaking pipe hidden by the coving?

• Daisy England
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

If there was an old chimney there originally it could be that it needs anti sulphates on it. One way or another it is salts relating to the chimney removal. Plaster needs removing and anti sulphates putting on.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.