webuser_16713319

Rising damp in newly built extension

Ruth House
last year

Hi,
We have damp rising in one corner of our new extension. This is so upsetting and stressful as we are just about to decorate ahead of new flooring then new kitchen but now it seems we have a major problem to deal with which will delay all progress .
There are no water pipes or drains in this part of the building. At first we thought it was an accumulation of condensation from the bifolds. They are aluminium and with a lot of plaster work and no heating there has been considerable condensation inside each morning. But we now see that there is also damp in the outside of the building. The morter around the air brick is damp and the render in that corner is also damp. The air brick has a long pipe sitting behind it which then sits in front of the air bricks on the original house wall. The extension is a concrete floor and the gap inside bifolds was also back filled with concrete. I can't imagine there is enough moisture below our original house that it could cause rising damp at the air brick??? It hasn't happened next to the other air bricks along the same wall so could it be that it isn't connected as well? Please help we are very worried, there is no way to access under this floor except digging up concrete inside the house!

Comments (4)

• pauldrowan
    last year

Not sure where you are in the UK but where I live we’ve had a lot of rain these past few days. I’d be looking at how the bifolds are fitted in the bottom corner. Looks to me like water might be running down the reveal/corner and finding a way in there.

• pauldrowan
    last year

Looking specifically at your last picture, does the sill run away from the house? Is water pooling there? And is it properly sealed?

• Jen
    last year

Worth also checking your gutter above that point - there are a few indications that suggest this moisture is coming from above rather than rising damp.

• Ruth House
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your replies.  The sill does slope away from the doors and we've not seen any water pooling on outside, the render is very neat right up to the bifolds so can't really see if it is 'sealed' as such but it is certainly something we will ask the installers about.  The guttering is well away from the wall as there is soffit overhang but this has made me think we should check the roof tiles in case water is coming in and seating down the insulated wall cavity maybe?

Another thing I noticed was the little channel in the metal trim along bottom of bifold had come concrete grit blocking it so perhaps condensation is building up in that corner as it couldn't spread put along the channel.  ( I have assumes that is what the little channel is there for?)

I will do a good clean up and maybe try to dry out the wet patch.  Then wait and see if it reoccurs?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.