joyce_ferrara37

Please help with master bath layout. 1, 2, 3 or 4?? Thanks!

Nanny of 4
last year

This is a drawing I made of my master bathroom. My window is large (66" wide including molding) and not centered in the room. The ceiling is slanted and has a big skylight. I am hoping to get a double shower and a soaking tub which I don't have now. I would like to find a place for a makeup table if possible also. Can anyone help with ideas about this layout? I need some experienced eyes to maximize this space. Thanks so much for your help.

This is what I'm tossing around: I realize I will have to change the outside window if I put the vanity on the outside wall.

Comments (30)

• roarah
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sorry none really work well because the toilet is unusable. I would want the shower a minimum of three wide not 32” Are you working with a bath designer? Start over losing the separate makeup vanity or shortening your vanity if you want a four piece bath. Try the bath and built in tub on the far 13.5 wall, the vanity where it is in number 4 and the toilet in the bottom left corner. This is assuming you have the budget and structure to move a toilet anywhere.

Nanny of 4 thanked roarah
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen Help

Q

Comments (9)
    Happy to help ! I'm only a short swim away in England !! I think if you want a truly opulent cream for the kitchen cabinets - I'd suggest you get a colour match for the range ! It looks a very creamy cream ! Think it could be stunning ! Then have slightly lighter walls and tiles to keep the room feeling light and airy ! If you have walnut stain for your worktop on your island , I'd suggest using that on your exposed legs if you go for the dipped paint look on the table and chairs ! Are you having the classic CC shaped island ?!?
    ...See More

Please help with my Master Bedroom!!

Q

Comments (1)
    K
    ...See More

Should we merge our ensuite and main bathroom to make 1 large bathroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello Edel, Well you are in the fortunate place having a loo and shower downstairs.. I am sure this might become useful when the boys are older.. So if you wanted more wardrobe space.. This doesn't have to involve wall to wall cupboards.. You could have free standing wardrobes.. A bigger bathroom would mean you could have double wall hung sinks and large walk in shower and a separate bath.. Wall hung loo as well.. Or possibly you could create a wet room style shower and loo and separate walk in closet.. accessed from your bedroom. Keep a bathroom next door.. Hard to tell if any of these ideas could work without a plan.. : ))
    ...See More

Houzz Live Chat - Designing a Dream Kitchen, 1 pm, 15 July 2016

Q

Comments (80)
    A15) @Dara Cooke: If you can't afford a quartz or granite worktop from day one then I would recommend using a laminate worktop as a temporary solution. If you don't put tiles up as a backsplash then replacing the worktops can be relatively easy in a couple of years.
    ...See More
  • Missy Bee
    last year

I like Jan’s layout. Make sure you sit in your tub before buying or at least sit in one where you note the leg length and the back angle so you know what to buy on line if that is how you roll. I ended up with a beautiful freestanding soaking tub with exterior dimensions 60” long and 30” wide and it is super comfy. That size looks like it would be even better under your window because it can be centered. My sister has one the builder put in that is so long she slides all the way down and would drown if she stretched out in it.

Nanny of 4 thanked Missy Bee
  • P.D. Schlitz
    last year

Jan’s plan might be the most efficient use of space. I was thinking it might be nice to have a curbless shower where her toilet is, with glass partition between shower and tub to bring more daylight/possible views into shower, then vanity along much of the length of the wall on the right, with toilet on the far end/back corner of that same wall. Question: where is your skylight, and are there any sloped ceilings that need to be factored into your plans?

Nanny of 4 thanked P.D. Schlitz
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Floating a tub, unless you like a cleaning pain in the rear? Means clearances. The current rage for them does NOT suit well, every bath on earth. Just because you see them jammed against walls on the internet, doesn't mean it's a great idea in reality. There are a lot of sleek tubs, and ways to use them, that do not in anyway suggest a boring , small alcove tub.

It's purpose is to contain the water and be comfortable, ahead of it being anything else unless you have all the space in the world. You do not. : )

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO FS tubs are a PITA to get in and out of , if you do not have a good amount of space all around it cleaning is a real issue since even with proper space you practiaclly have to stand on your head to clean around the tub. nice drop in deep soaker tub much beeter IMO So I too like Jan's layout much better than any of the 4 you posted. Noew is the time to fix the layout before everything is done and you hate what you did.

Nanny of 4 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Missy Bee
    last year

I do like toilet in current location as there is some privacy and it is not the first thing you see when you enter the bathroom nor is it in direct view of window…even though I am sure there will be some kind of adjustable window covering.

Nanny of 4 thanked Missy Bee
  • Missy Bee
    last year

Clarification…I like toilet location in Jan’s sketch for reasons stated above.

• Nanny of 4
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all, I will make new drawings when I get home. I will also show pics of the sloped ceiling. It's also strange that I have double doors to the bathroom with glass panes that open into the bedroom instead of into the bathroom. I thought about keeping the doors (film over glass panes) that way unless I can't work around them. If I sit up in bed, I look straight ahead to the 13' wall ahead. I don't love the built-in bathtub look unless I'm not looking in the right places. I only see the alcove kids-style tub versions.

• PRO
    Rabbitt Design
    last year

A quick interpretation of @JAN MOYER s Layout:

Nanny of 4 thanked Rabbitt Design
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You don't understand your space. The double doors inhibit a decent bath plan. Fine to post more pictures, but the logical place for the tub is

beneath the window. The toilet is also in the most logical spot. If your vision is something else, and you must have a floating tub? You will sacrifice vanity space and a nice shower space. The doors you have probably open into your bedroom , courtesy of less than desirable design.

This ( below ) is not a boring kiddie tub in an alcove. At 36 x 66 inches? A kiddie tub is 30 x 60" . This is custom and plenty of soaking room. and there are MANY from which to select, you can under mount to a beautiful slab!......You need a kitchen /Bath designer to work with. : ) On your site.

• Nanny of 4
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Jan, You are right - I didn't understand the space well. I can change the double doors and move the toilet too.

Rabbit, Thank you so much for that visual!

• Nanny of 4
    Original Author
    last year

Is there a deeper tub that is built in, I showed my husband and he doesn't want that short tub We had the deep one in mind to fully soak in.... And I'm willing to make the vanity smaller to add a makeup table somewhere. I will make an appointment with a bathroom designer, but if I don't have a makeup station, I will end up using the counter and a folding chair like I do now -- which I don't want to do

• calidesign
    last year

For the makeup area you can use Jans design but place 2 sinks in the longer side of the vanity, or just use one sink, and make the shorter vanity side lower with space for a chair underneath. We have a very deep rectangular builtin tub with sloped ends which is perfect for lounging.

• Karenseb
    last year

Check out the 66 inch Underscore by Kohler. My sister put that in her bathroom with a solid surface surround. The tub is undermounted and is great to use and look at .

Almost 18 inch water depth. Uses lots of water

tub spec

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

It's VERY nice to keep the vanity counter at one level, and simply use a smashing counter stool,

24 inch seat height, with a very low back. There's no reason to drop down a counter top to 30" from 36".

Tub comfort: It can be too long, : ) Unless you like drowning.

Exterior tub height is different than interior soaking height. There are modern alcove tubs that do that, without climbing over two feet of tub wall exterior.

Get the tiny alcove thing, out of your head.

Bear in mind? You have to soak daily and for hours, to make UP for the losses in storage, grooming, and shower space, all used more often with smaller vanity, etc. As it is, there is no room for a great linen closet.

If you want luxury as you seem to? Access an adjacent space, and enlarge the room.

Know how LONG these take to fill and you need a hot water tank upgrade as well.

Nanny of 4 thanked JAN MOYER
  • Nanny of 4
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, everyone,

Jan - Good idea about vanity being the same height. I don't see those for sale; I'll have to get something custom if I want it. As far as the tub, I want a soaking tub; not something that I'm half out of the water in, I also want a double shower if I could; I saw one that is 4' x 6.5 on Houzz that I like. Since I want those 2, I'll have to shorten the vanity to 6'.

Is this better now that I made the entrance door 30"

Powell Ohio Master Bath · More Info

• Nanny of 4
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Andrew, Is that app easy to use for laypeople?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

So this is a ranch house?

Is there a basement or crawlspace?

Are you on slab?

Have you considered simply adding the tub by the window and refurbishing what is there and calling it a day?

If you turned the camera sideways and took a shot that got both corners of the room this could be a better illustration.

Nanny of 4 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Nanny of 4
    Original Author
    last year

How's this

I have a basement and an attic with a crawl space above this bathroom. It's a 1980s contemporary 2-story house. I did consider just adding a tub under the window, but since the window isn't centered, I didn't know if it looks bad. I also need a make-up area

Are these better:

• tozmo1
    last year

As you plan your budget, build in the cost of a tankless water heater if you don't already have one.

Nanny of 4 thanked tozmo1
  • P.D. Schlitz
    last year

Interestingly, the plan that Jan posted earlier wouldn’t be hugely disruptive (in terms of plumbing lines etc) as you could keep shower and vanity in place. I also like really like Beverly’s plan and it seems worth considering if you have more leeway with your budget.

To me, the ugliest thing about your existing bathroom is that giant bulkhead sticking out like a sore thumb above your shower/toilet area— you should investigate whether this is needed for mechanicals, or can (ideally) be removed in your renovations. If it can’t be removed, I would prioritize figuring out a way to make the ceiling feel less chopped up & more cohesive.

Nanny of 4 thanked P.D. Schlitz
  • Nanny of 4
    Original Author
    last year

PD Schiltz - That bulkhead houses the A/C ducts that run into the bedroom and downstairs. I wouldn't know how to figure out a way to make it look less chopped. My husband said, "Don't look up!"

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You need to get a kitchen /bath designer on board and on your site.

"As far as the tub, I want a soaking tub; not something that I'm half out of the water in, I also want a double shower if I could; I saw one that is 4' x 6.5 on Houzz that I like. Since I want those 2, I'll have to shorten the vanity to 6'."

When space and dollars are of NO concern ? You can make mistakes and rip and re do

Don't design on your own with this. Skip the laymen computer apps. Skip anything but a conversation with a local independent designer on your site- as you are unaware, of how much you do not know. Do that after you have been to a dedicated plumbing supply with a tub variety on the selling floor. Comfort/soaking has nothing to do with drowning.

A great shower is not something you buy online, like paper towels from Amazon. You create it custom, In conjunction with all the other element in that bath. Start from 70k for the entire bath to completion.

• P.D. Schlitz
    last year

Haha, sounds like it’s here to stay! Hopefully some designers will chime in on what they think would work— I think having it painted the same color as the ceiling would help it recede into the background more, and maybe there are some other tricks of the eye they could recommend (maybe something with beams?). Good luck!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Based on all the limitations of your space like the sloped ceiling, ceiling bulkhead, position of the window, and height of the window sill, I believe that this is all you can do.

Frankly, I'm not sure how you can even get a drain for the tub unless you have a crawl space directly under the location of the tub

You might be able to expand the length of the vanity and place a kneehole space between the two sinks. Your other option is to use only one sink and turn the rest of the vanity into counter space.

Select an elongated toilet as a replacement with a skirted base.

• suzanne_m
    last year

This might be an option but it has its disadvantages. It is a bit tight in the make-up area but given that a stool is around 14" diameter, I think it is enough space to sit and pull out your stool when needed. I added a small wall beside the bench to be able to put your light switch. I don't know if it is legal to add electricity in that area ... something you need to check. You have the view of the toilet when you rest in your tub. As mentioned before by others, I would mount the tub on a deck for ease of cleaning.

I see that you need a lot of storage, you might consider adding a tower on the left side of your vanity and on the right side of your make-up vanity. It makes your make-up vanity smaller but if you keep it at the same height of the vanity (which I strongly recommend) you can use 10-12" of your counter top on the right of the right sink when you are sitting at your make-up vanity.

• J Mig
    last year

Nanny of four, one of the reasons that the PRO designers are being so DIRECTIVE with you is that they see such a high potential for a lot of things going wrong. Plus, they know that what you want is a very complicated rearrangement of your bathroom, not just a simple modernizing of cabinets. There’s a possibility that you will lose access to this bathroom for 3 to 6 months while the work is being done. And we all see things on these forums where somebody who doesn’t know what they’re doing gets a shower that isn’t even waterproofed. Because you don’t seem to be very receptive to their very wise suggestions, I would not be surprised if they quit commenting (drop out of commenting) soon.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

To that end just above? Last comment here.

One. A single glance at this..............?

The bulkhead framing lines up with the exterior wall height. Call it PROBABLY unnecessary that it remains quite as ugly and imposing as now. Lazy framer and guesswork is a big possibility.

Two:

Bins, cubbies, the whatever the heck ( looks like a dorm fridge ) is to the right of the vanity, the leaning mirror ...etc. Aurrggghhh.

You are treating the bath as your own personal girlie dressing room.

You have not the space for this approach in a new bath, and shrinking valuable elements such as the vanity to accommodate ? Results in out of proportion relationships - as in PRAY you don't move/sell after wasting money on an overloaded ill fitting combination of elements. A "shower for two" with a squashed vanity, little storage and counter space makes no sense, though we could hardly deter you.

You've shown nothing of the primary bedroom. There is NO place for a lovely make up table with storage to include moist wipes to clean off your hands???? No place for a cheval leaning mirror ?

EVEN with a basement, crawl space attic, it's a small fortune in plumbing moves.

In short? Get a contractor in there, via a good bath designer who will have a contractor on her speed dial. Take a very hard look at your bank statements.

Failing that? Lipstick the pig. Live with current placements for everything. Extend the vanity to wall to wall with a new custom vanity, and more drawer storage.

If you must make up /blow dry/ do manicures in there? Buy a drawer console 30" high and more generous in length , 24" depth, and a decent vanity stool.

HERE'S A DESK. Same thing as a "vanity"

Generous 68 inches long

https://www.perigold.com/Hooker-Furniture--Curata-Writing-Desk-160010468DKW-160010473DKW-L32-K~HKR13203.html?refid=GX433456102316-HKR13203_27873255&device=c&ptid=901285860950&targetid=aud-1650024449652:pla-901285860950&ireid=108327343&PiID%5B%5D=27873255&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxMmhBhDJARIsANFGOSth941STrd-X45fzMYvWAE_9nhJ9fTspPyBPT8ZxDD40vyH7UTi8ZwaAo-IEALw_wcB

56 long 30.5 high, 26 deep. Put it in front of the window. You're a short reach to more drawer storage in the new vanity.

https://www.arhaus.com/products/divya-writing-desk?variant=40869496225963

GET A STOOL WITH STORAGE

( amazon above )

Paint the walls. Done. It doesn't need to be as cluttered and disjointed as it is.

You bought the house with a poorly thought out bath and no tub. Put a spa outdoors in your back 40 and soak away.

Spend 5 - 10 k and make it better, or go whole hog, but only AFTER professional consultation in the bathroom/victim with a solid plan, budget and all. You're out of your depth any other way.

Nanny of 4 thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Dounia Home
    last year

great tub fixture for a lovely look

https://www.douniahome.com/products/najma-pendant-light

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.