webuser_907487321

Renovating and Reconfiguring

L J
last year

We are buying a property in need of lots of updating. The layout is really awkward, no hallway, the stairs are at the back, chimney breast in the middle and the garage isn't attached to the house (instead to the neighbours garage).

We would ideally like a large kitchen diner, hallway, separate lounge, downstairs shower room and utility room. And being greedy another small room, either a study, guest room or play room.

We think we probably need to incorporate the garage, but it has a flat roof and we are concerned about light.

Lots of factors to consider and our budget is tight! If anyone can offer thoughts or advice then we would be very grateful!

Comments (10)

• katlucy
    last year

• katlucy
    last year

• kazzh
    last year

An very not to scale idea

• katlucy
    last year

Depending on how much of the garage you would be happy to give up could this work?

Bench sitting in the kitchen might allow a bigger table.

• pauldrowan
    last year

What sort of measurement is the gap between house and garage? And are they on the same level? Could that gap become the new entrance and run straight through to the rear garden to form an entryway/hallway. Lots of designs incorporate glazed links between previously separate volumes and if the measurements work this could be ideal. I’m also wondering could the stairs also be relocated here to release space in the current house?

• L J
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for all these. Hadn't thought about only incorporating the back of the garage and leaving the gap at the front; that would also give an outside door into he utility which I like.

The gap between the garage is approx 70cm I think. The garage is lower, but if we were incorporating it we would raise the floor level anyway.
    We have thought about moving the stairs but feel like it could be quite a big cost. The garage has a flat, lower level roof, so not sure we could incorporate the stairs into the gap or the garage area?

• Jonathan
    last year

Because your garage is attached to your neighbours you may have to have party wall agreements in order to convert it. Given it is attached to the neighbours it might be difficult to raise the ceiling in which case taking the floor level up might be problematic. It might be a bit narrow too by the time you have added insulation and plasterboard.

You might consider if it’s better to move the front door and the stairs. Can you post an upstairs floor plan? You should be realistic about your budget too- lots of people buying a new house have ambitions but building work will eat up more than most people have.

• L J
    Original Author
    last year

Upstairs

• pauldrowan
    last year

With budget in mind and assuming the gap between house and garage is wide enough to use for access… Main door moved to side, original front door becomes a window, reduced size utility room to create a hallway (use pocket doors where possible), downstairs loo becomes shower room, wall and porch removed between kitchen and living room gives you this which I’ve left as a “blank canvas”. You can then either reinstate a wall to separate the large room into a kitchen/diner and separate lounge or leave it open plan as you have the room at the back to use as a separate snug/lounge. I think you’d be looking at £12-20,000 plus kitchen & flooring/finishes to do this depending where you are.

• Jonathan
    last year

I’m not as budget conscious as Paul but moving the stairs may not be as much as you think and my plan connects one of the large rooms with the garden.
    I imagine the garage will be difficult to connect to the house but you could put the washing machine at the back of the garage

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.