samael_ofthemorningsun

Water leak in kitchen caused what appears to be mold (pic included)

Samael
last year

Hi all. Just looking to get some advice. I had a water leak in kitchen and used a pump to remove it. However, a few weeks in and the the floor boards were still leaking water trapped beneath. I've since removed the floor boards and there appears to be dark black/brown looking mold across much of the floor. The plan is to remove the subfloor entirely but until then, do any of you have any tips as for how best to approach this?

Comments (5)

• Sonia
    last year

I would claim on your house insurance and get them lifted and replaced.

• Jonathan
    last year

I’m not sure what is shown in the picture….. do you have floor boards under this? Or is it a chipboard floor?

If this is just some insulation from under the carpet or laminate then rip it up and get rid of it.

If it is chipboard it might well be moisture resistant and short term a mop with some bleach will be enough until you can replace it.

And Sonia is right - this may be covered by insurance

• Sonia
    last year

This may come under buildings insurance. Do not hesitate to claim, and no it won’t increase your premiums by a massive amount.

• PRO
    Earl & Calam Design and Build Ltd
    last year

If water has got in to the subfloor first thing is to dry everything out. Have you used a dehumidifier.  It can take a while to dry things out, but once things are dry you can check the condition of the boards. The mould as Jonathan says can be cleaned away. In your photo it doest look like the boards have swollen or moved, so likely to be okay once dried .

• Daisy England
    last year

Just to add l would be cautious of plinths and base end panels staying on the damp/wet floor. They will blow and you will end up having to replace them too.

Samael thanked Daisy England
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.