webuser_886514627

Renovation estimates

HU-886514627
last year

Good evening! We've just moved in to our first property and are novices at costings for building work/renovations. I've enquired with a few management companies but it'll be a while before anyone can view and provide an estimate.
Would anyone please be able to give a very rough estimated cost for the following please?
Knock down cavity wall between kitchen and dining/living area (L-shaped wall c2x3m). Replace one side with kitchen cabinets.
Plaster and lay flooring in our garage (already insulated). Erect a partition wall in garage. Possibly knock through for an internal door between the living area and garage.
We're based in Dorset and would just like to understand if our budget would stretch to fit our ideas.
Thanks so much for reading!

Comments (3)

• tamp75
    last year

Hi, sounds like an interesting project. However, think a few more details are needed to get an idea on price, even if it is a ball park figure as it could vary substantially. E.g Is the ‘L’ shape wall load-bearing? The fact that it’s L shaped, therefore 2 walls, sounds like it could be more tricky & therefore more expensive if steel supports are needed. ‘Replace one wall with kitchen cabinets’ - I’m not clear what you mean here - using cabinets as a peninsula or island or against another wall? Or do you mean full-height cabinets? Does the whole kitchen need redoing to match? Obviously you’ll need worktops if using lower units (which material can affect cost) plus new flooring here as well as in the garage if a wall is coming down. Electrics may need replacing too if you’re moving walls. A floor plan would also be useful if you can provide one.

• HU-886514627
    Original Author
    last year

This is fantastic, thank you so much for your comments.

We believe the walls not to be load bearing. We'd indeed use the kitchen units as a peninsula, and we would be keeping the rest of the kitchen as is.

I doubt that any electrics would need rejigging either, although one radiator would need removing from the wall that is potentially coming down.

I've attached a floor plan of the whole house but we've not had anything specifically drawn up yet to project our ideas, I'm afraid. The whole of downstairs would essentially become an open plan space, excepting the wall between the garage and the internal living space which ideally would have a door.

Hope that makes sense (sorry if I'm not hugely clear, I haven't yet consulted a builder for the correct terminologies etc)!

Thanks so much again for your insight

• PRO
    Woodfloors4u
    last year
    last modified: last year

Nice project, we can certainly assist with supplying flooring when your ready.

Our Versailles panels maybe a ideal option based on the room sizes.

Feel free to take a look at the huge variety of projects on our Houzz profile from some added inspiration.

If you have any specific enquiries your welcome to call us on 020 8500 1940 or visitour website www.woodfloors4u.co.uk.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.