webuser_768402840

Tale of two RSJs..final update

HU-768402840
last year

Hi Everyone,

I hope all is well. I spent my weekend in the loft, clearing the insulation away. 50% done and remaining to do in the coming weeks. Real sweaty and painful job but I got a trick. In which I grab the insulation and throw it through the loft hatch. After I'm done, I climb down the ladder, collect it in bin bags and get rid of it. This way it speeds things up.

The builder has finally put up two steel RSJ. One where the wall between the dining room and the kitchen used to be. This was strictly not needed but as discussed, better overengineer the house and factor things like the flexing of the ceiling.

The second RSJ, over the doorway of the kitchen to the sunroom, was a bit of a surprise and I now seem to understand why it was needed. What I feel, looking at the pics, is that the sunroom has another wall, just outside. If this makes sense? It's a brick wall and then had a? wood lintel over the door frame. This one was weak and needed props to support. They have now put an RSJ there, so all seems fine. Have enclosed pics, to have a better idea, an expert will probably know much more than me

KR

Mel

Comments (11)

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Junction of the two RSJs. You can see an outer brick wall? The inner(original wall)

is made of ? grey bricks. The concrete lintel is on the right and this seems fine

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Junction of the two RSJs. You can see an outer brick wall? The inner(original wall)

is made of ? grey bricks. The concrete lintel is on the right and this seems fine

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

The RSJ is inserted on the outer side of the doorway. On the left ? above the steel rsj is an exposed wood lintel? Not sure if this left side of the wall is strong, it has several cracks and needs repairs as well

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Close up of the inner ? concrete lintel, which was supported by

props in some of the pics. They have hacked through a crack to expose some? wood. Is this part of a concrete lintel?

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

I hope all of this will strengthen the house and make it strong

In hindsight, I remember Jonathan asking me to take down all of that wall and extend the kitchen into the sunroom in total. Something which I just didn't have the strength to dream about.

If you now see, it would be a fairly easy task. given that they have put much steel, they could have easily extended it further. Anyway, hindsight they say is 20/20..

Main question? Do I need building reg to come in and inspect this work?

KR

Mel

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Jonathan et al

Any ideas? It does look ok to me

thanks

Mel

• PRO
    A Class Kitchens of Bedford
    last year

If you’ve got a steel you’ll need building regs to sign off any work. Your builder should be sorting this I would have thought, as they will need a building notice before you begin work. If it’s not been sent, then I would arrange as soon as possible.

HU-768402840 thanked A Class Kitchens of Bedford
  • Sonia
    last year

Mel you crack me up. Are you superwoman or what? I can’t offer advice but I do love to read your posts. When this is over you should write a book……😊

HU-768402840 thanked Sonia
  • HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Sonia,

I think I got some of the inspiration from my mum. She had 4 kids, worked full time and yet found time to build a 6-bed house!

• HU-768402840
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Angie

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.