davidscott_roll

Design challenge: Fix for front door that opens directly onto stairs

David Scott Roll
last year
last modified: last year

We have a 1930's British Semi that has a side entrance. The pain is that door opens directly onto our staircase with a door either side of that (floor plan below)One to the open-plan dining/kitchen and one to the sitting room. However the micro entrance space is super impractical. You enter and have to shuffle up the stairs or into the sitting room before going through to the house. It also makes the house feel small on entry. Has anyone got any tips or solutions on how we could improve/overcome this. Either in structural design or via decoration?

Comments (11)

• Daisy England
    last year

No floor plan. Could you add it. Some images would also be good.

• CWD
    last year

Would you be allowed to build a small addition to the front door to bring it out into the walkway to create a bit more space inside? Would changing the direction of the door help - so opening into the open kitchen/dining rather than towards the sitting room?

• Sonia
    last year

I’m in a 1930s terrace, and my hall is tiny too! Yo made me chuckle with your acrobatics to enter your house......... All the houses in my road are the same on the outside, but configured slightly differently inside. My neighbours house has a much bigger hall leading to the kitchen, but it eats into their sitting room which is much smaller than mine. You could remove the wall into the kitchen, or move it further into the kitchen giving you a wider hall? Or as CWD suggests adding, maybe a porch to the front crating a bigger hall? A floor plan or pics will help envisage your problem.

• David Scott Roll
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry the website was being a little glitchy. All added now. Thanks for the suggestions already. The challenge with a small extension is we would lose the side access and also wouldn't be very neighbourly as their front door is directly opposite.

• pauldrowan
    last year

Another option. Create a porch to the back door for everyday/family use and only use the side door when people knock on it. Use as much glass as possible to keep light flowing into the kitchen and family room.

• PRO
    Carla / kolours.space
    last year

Depending on the facade, wondering if that shouldn't be your main entrance?

• Eimear Long
    last year

Move the stairs: 90 degrees anticlockwise on your drawing into the family room.

• HU-570934404
    last year

Cheapest option is to have an OUTWARDS opening FRONT door. Yes, it is possible- see Google.

• annabellaamy
    last year

It's a bit hard to judge without pictures but how about this ?

Change front door to window. Block up kitchen door - you already have doors out of kitchen.

Put front door in place of window which is currently into the family room.

• annabellaamy
    last year

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.