lauren_emery2

Moving gas and electric meters to create alcove by chimney breast

Lauren
2 years ago

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice please about moving my gas and electric meters?
They are currently in a cupboard in the kitchen which is a totally wasted space. The cupboard is situated behind the chimney wall of my lounge. We are at the very early stages of trying to renovate this property as we haven't long moved in. We plan to install a wood burner in the lounge and I really love the idea of creating an alcove on the right hand side of the chimney breast in the living room, to match the existing step back on the other side. However that is where the cupboard is in the kitchen that houses the meters. Is it possible to move all this stuff and has anyone got any ideas where it could go - could it possibly be moved outside? To the left of the cupboard is the outside wall.
Appreciate any advice, thank you! 😊

Comments (9)

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

New laws (so I’ve read) state that everything is going to have to be sited outside. It will be compulsory to have this done. Bearing this in mind I would query it with the utility supplier because if that is the case get it done in one go and positioned outside.

• Lauren
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh wow that's so interesting to know, thank you so much! Can I ask where you read that please? I'm guessing this is going to be an expensive endeavour but I would love to create the double alcove and get rid of the wasted cupboard.

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

I think you have to be realistic about the available budget for the whole house. You are proposing taking down a wall, blocking up a doorway, moving your gas meter, moving your electric meter, moving the electric fuse board, moving the two pipes that are in the cupboard…….. it seems like it could cost more than doing the bathroom in order to gain symmetry either side of a fireplace. It’s worth noting that each of these alcoves is unlikely to be big enough for a modern TV so perhaps you should be thinking about the room as a whole.

If the goal is symmetry consider blocking up the alcove in the living room.

You might also consider removing the chimney breast altogether which in my opinion could gain you more useable space for less spend.

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

@Lauren. I read on it another forum i contribute to. I have copied and pasted what they said below for you:

Not the day to have to have no heating, with gas pipes being changed in the whole street and all the gas turned off for 2 days. (Then got a big hole being dug in the driveway and garage to move the meter from inside to outside and change underground pipe joins sometime today , as apparently new laws means it's compulsory to have it done! )

Cadent do it and they have a website but i guess it is up to the supplier who you are with so perhaps they can help. I’m only going on what was posted in the other forum.

• Kate
    2 years ago

There are clear and obvious advantages to having a gas isolation valve and meter cited outside, for the owner and fire brigade. Hence new meters are generally installed outside. However it's important to be careful advising people that it is a requirement to have their meter moved without actually making reference to a credible source eg government regulations which are all online. It would be awful if people were being asked to part with money to move their meter when it isn't actually required.

• embzop
    2 years ago

I had my meters moved a few years ago from an inside cupboard to the outside wall. It was expensive even though they were moving from one side of the wall to the other side of it. The costs were about £1300 for the gas and & £800 for the electric meter. The gas meter had a completely new pipe run from the gas main to the new meter so it wasn't a simple job of connecting the old and new pipe. I had to install new meter boxes, I also had to additionally pay for an electrician to connect the new electric meter to the old consumer box. It was alot of effort, however, it is helpful to have all that gubbins outside and because I have continued to live at the house for a few years, it was worth it.

• Lauren
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for the points you have raised.

I get the point it is a lot of effort and money, but it's something I'd really like and we are already settled on a woodburner. I think it would be a shame to lose the chimney. It's something I will investigate and see what I can find, as Embzop mentioned I agree if we are going to stay here awhile it's worth paying the money to have what we want.

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Many years ago we enquired about moving our meters outside and were advised it would cost £1000 each one. We declined but then the gas company were offering this for free in our road so we had the gas meter put outside - it was quite a job as the pipes were threaded under the house. Still got the electric one in the pantry though!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.