webuser_794498034

Need advice for clothes drying outdoors

Em Jay
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Update: I have an indoor airer. I only want advice on an outdoor airing solution as mentioned, below.

I am moving to an apartment with a paved yard. I am not allowed to attach any clothes drying lines anywhere or mount a pole (i.e., no drilling into anything outside). I thought I could buy a rotary airer (see image) and sink the pole into a large clay plant pot filled with cement. Would this work? The apartment only has electric heat - no opportunities for hanging laundry over a nice, warm, gas-heated radiator. The yard is south-facing and will catch a lot of light and breeze.

Comments (9)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

To be honest I dry most of mine indoors on a collapsible airer due to the vagaries of the British weather! The clothes do dry within a day or so. The airer is used in the spare bedroom. The one below is basic but does fold up small. Of course there are several more attractive ones on the market.

Em Jay thanked Sonia
  • K OB
    2 years ago

If you were going to fill a bucket or similar, you'd want to find a container that had a wider base so it doesn't topple over in the wind. I'd also recommend buying a whirling with shorter arms to reduce the chances of it being blown over when loaded.

Em Jay thanked K OB
  • hedgehog99
    2 years ago

You could literally just put the type of airer Sonia has posted, in your yard. Find a sheltered spot where it won’t blow over. Use it indoors on rainy days. Bob’s your uncle.

Em Jay thanked hedgehog99
  • Angie
    2 years ago

I don’t think fixing an airier in a lot will be sufficiently stable, plus you’d have the weight of it to move around. Whilst you may not be permitted to make certain fixings, it’s possible that you might be granted consent for a washing line if you asked. It’s not an unreasonable thing to have in a garden and you can’t beat the smell and feel of line dried laundry. 😀 But otherwise, as hedgehog99 suggests, you could simply use an indoor airer outdoors, suitably secured.

Em Jay thanked Angie
  • tamp75
    2 years ago

Could you use a heavy based garden parasol stand? We have one with a granite square base which doesn’t topple over with a parasol in it. Might be worth looking into?

• K D
    2 years ago

We had ours in a very heavy garden parasol stand and it was fine if the weather wasn’t too windy

• Priscilla
    2 years ago

I've had this drying line for a few years now. You can folding it neatly, its sturdy & it takes a good amount of clothes. Bought ours from argos but I can see lakeland has 1.

• Priscilla
    2 years ago

We've had this drying line for a few years now. Bought it from Argos but lakeland has it. Its sturdy, folds neatly and can take a good amount of clothes

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.