londonkitchen

Covering electrical cables from hell

londonkitchen
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

To cut a long story short, an emergency electrician has run new armoured cables across the top of my wall, and it's not a pretty sight. Furthermore, where it enters the flat it is at a different angle creating a further problem in terms of covering it up. Ideally I would like to cover it with a simple cornice to make it as inconspicuous as possible, but so far I have not succeeded in finding a workman to do it. How can I proceed? Are there any designers who would like to pick up this job and try to make a go of it?

Comments (15)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

How odd. Never seen electric cabling like it in a home. It could be boxed in and then paint the boxing the same colour as the walls? Or it could be chased into the wall and plastered over but it looks like metal so may not be suitable. An easy but basic option is paint the cabling the same colour as the walls.

londonkitchen thanked Sonia
  • londonkitchen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks but those are all the things I didn't want because it is a hideous eyesore, being boxed or painted does't hide it or the protrusion of it at all

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

I think you should be able to hide it behind cornice.

It might be cheaper to get the wiring moved but if you like the cornice idea work out how much drop you need and then go online to cost it out. This is not a DIY job you will need a plasterer to install it and don’t be tempted to skimp on the amount you need….. over order so there are fewer joints.

https://www.plastercoving.ltd.uk/arts-and-crafts-plaster-coving-br145mm-x-135mm-10946-p.asp

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    2 years ago

You say it was run by an emergency electrician so i assume there was a fault somewhere, is this how the electrician is planning on leaving it or is it just a temporary fix? As its indoors why has the electrician used armoured cable (used for outside use), could he not of gone upstairs and lifted the floor up to run the cable, alternatively the cable is run in a safe zone so it could be chased into the wall and then redecorated, or it could of been run outside instead of using the shortest route through your living room. Your problem with covering with coving is the bend, again if this wasn't armoured the bend would be much tighter. Basically if this is your flat but the cable is for another flat I'd insist on it being re routed and repairs made to your decoration.

• pannacotta
    2 years ago

I would get this changed, I cant see why this cable was used in the first place and you will not be able to hide it, other than coving which is expensive.

• londonkitchen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wish I could, I've had many arguments with the managing agents but they ignore me. They let loose a lying electrician in my home who told me one lie after another so he could perpetuate this rubbish and now I'm stuck with it

• londonkitchen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lifestyle Kitchens - you are absolutely right. The electrician was a bit of a bodge artist and a pathological liar, just reeled off one lie after another due to it being an "emergency" so he could just do this rubbish his way. The problem was there was flooding which I caused and the original cables embedded in the building needed to be replaced so this is what the electrician did and yes, this is his idea of a permanent solution.

• Chris Morgan-Jones
    2 years ago

Is it the cable between the cutout and consumer unit? The bending radius of the armoured cable will limit your options. If it’s not between the cutout and consumer unit then it could probably be replaced with twin and earth if the cable is suitably protected. Personally I would chase out the wall, replace the cable and fill the chase the gyproc easifill. It is the best and nearest solution. Boxing in would be the cheapest and easiest option with the least disruption but if done considerately shouldn’t be too obvious when completed. You could hide it behind a cornice but that’s potentially quite an expensive option if you’re looking at adding it to an entire room. You’re probably looking at the cost of a joiner for a day vs an electrician for a couple of hours (assuming you can do chasing and filling yourself). It’s cost vs disruption vs desired finish.

• londonkitchen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Chris Morgan-Jones, sorry I'm not familiar with the meaning of cutout and consumer unit but you are probably right. The cable runs all the way to ground floor connecting to a unit in the room under the stairs - presumably this is what you mean by cutout? It reaches a cupboard where my fuse box is and there is now a separate new unit there. The cables were run down the walls of the hallway and have now been boxed in so I dont know how much flexibility I have with this cable.

• Chris Morgan-Jones
    2 years ago

Yes, the cutout is the incoming supply fuses owned by the distribution network operator. The consumer unit is the “fuse box”, although I’m assuming it’s more modern and has RCDs and MCBs. In this instance it makes sense that it is an armoured cable. I have a similar setup in a rental property. Your best options will be covering it either by boxing in or coving depending on your budget.

• siobhanmcgee90
    2 years ago

While you are considering your options can you paint it in the same colour as the wall.

• londonkitchen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all your comments!

• Wumi
    2 years ago

I would just chase it into the wall or ceiling, pop on a cabling cover, patch up with a good filler and paint.

I always try to take photos with measurements of where any electric cables run before they’re hidden.

• Chris Morgan-Jones
    last year

That looks great. Definitely a good outcome in the end.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.