asuran_fg

Fixing flooding "cellar"

Asuran fg
2 years ago

Hi all,

We have a 1900s 4 story house built into the side of a hill. There are three floors above the earth level, the kitchen diner is set below the earth level (built into the side of the hill....I hope this makes sense!

The kitchen diner in the basement frequently floods along one wall which bears directly against the side of the hill, I was wondering it if it possible to do something like the below:

1. Allow the natural flooding to continue, but build a drainage gutter along the wall thast leaks and allow it to naturally drain off into the garden,
  2. Do something like a blind boring (Mole drilling?) along the outside perimeter of the same wall and install somekind of land drainage to ease the water around the perimeter of the house and off into the garden or the stream at the bottom of the garden?

I am not sure what the technical terms are for the above...and finally, if I went looking for professional advice, who is best placed to give expert advice on how this should be handled? Civil Engineer? Structural Engineer?

Many Thanks

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.