alicia2789

gravel yard vs lawn

alicia2789
2 years ago

Hello, I am wondering if the choice to make the yard gravel was based on climate or design. Debating lawn alternatives in a drought.

Buena Vista Way · More Info

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Goodman Landscape Design
    2 years ago

Hi. Our clients wanted the DG (decomposed granite) and we were not opposed. We made this surface squishier than we usually do because that was their preference. Most people prefer it to be more hardpack. Some pros and cons. Pros: takes no water, has a casual look, Mediterranean/modern/transitional/timeless feel, easy to care for if leaves aren't a constant, makes a cool crunchy sound when walked on (if you like that), it's permeable, if you want to alter shape it's not a big deal to reconfigure... good place to train dogs to do their thing. Cons: Most DG gets stuck in shoe treads and then tracks inside with likely chance of scraping floors, needs a weed barrier like landscape fabric, proper depth of good drain rock (gravel) beneath the DG, doesn't feel good to walk barefoot on, it's casual look may or may not be appropriate for the space, probably needs replenishing now and then since it tends to migrate some.. Proper grading, drainage, design parameters - whether you're installing a lawn, DG patio or other hardscape need to be considered - Weighing it all, It is a good drought alternative to a lawn. Good luck!!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.