webuser_985940088

Fire rated Kitchen / Living Room Partition

Pierrick
2 years ago

Hi all!

Currently I have a flat with a corridor separating the kitchen and living room (see picture attached).

I want to make a bigger kitchen living room area and though about knocking down the walls (see proposed layout). The freeholder is contesting this option as the bedroom doors are leading to the kitchen and could pose a risk in case of fire. I find that this goes beyond the Building Regulations as the flat is located on the first floor and therefore the windows can be used as an escape. Has somebody had experience with a Freeholder rejecting a layour while Building Control approves it? Can they do it?

Still, I had to think about another approach and created a wall between the kitchen and living room but want to open it somehow and though about adding a glazed partition (see last and final layout :)

). Do you have other ideas to make this space more open?

I am now struggling to find this type of glazed partition but fire rated? Do you have any contact of trademan that could supply this?

Thank you in advance for your advices!

P.

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.