colleen_finn82

New build - woodburner help needed

Colleen Finn
2 years ago

Hi everyone, some help needed please for the wood burner in our new build (which now finally has foundations and the ground floor block work is going in!).

Initially the wood burner was going to be double-sided and form almost a room divider between the family room and the dining/kitchen area (as shown in the mockup images below). We have decided against this as the flue went straight up into our daughter's bedroom above, creating an unsightly boxed section in the middle of her wall.

So now we're thinking of a 3 sided wood burner (example images shown below) which can still serve both spaces, with the flue exiting the external wall. As you can see the family room is stepped down from the dining/kitchen area so I just wanted to ask for your thoughts on how best to achieve a good balance between the two areas. Should we expand the opening and stretch the steps all the way across? And if so should the wood burner go on the dining/kitchen floor level? Would that feel too disconnected from the family room? We're planning on engineered wood for the family room and grey stone effect porcelain tiles for the dining/kitchen area. Many thanks for any help, much appreciated! (unchanged floor plan included too)

Comments (18)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.