annken

to allow my twin visualise a new home...can you help

annken
8 years ago

my twin is apprehensive about moving. apprehensive about dividing a home into two separate spaces for two very singular women so we can live near and yet far! we wanna be alone so they say. we also use powered wheelchairs. but has this ever been done before and if so does HOUZZ people know of this and can HOUZZ people show me here so i can show twin there? she really does need more visualising as she is the academic and i am the artist and i am afraid very different species altogether. thanks we are in the republic of ireland by the way.

Comments (4)

• annken
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thats us, twin on the left in grey and i have just thrown my blankie on the ground to hide it (er) and dont hide the hideous socks!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Annken,

What about buying a very long Bungalow style home 1930's style.. If you treat it like two wings of a stately home.. With one side each for both of you that meets in the middle for kitchen/dining etc.. Or would you both want completely separate living quarters?.. If the height wasn't too low you may be able to create some split level rooms with ramp style stairs..

Or if it's not a bungalow if it was big enough you could have split level flooring with low spiral stairs.. Think Guggenheim or the Berthold Lubetkin beautifully designed Penguin house at the zoo that also had "slides" for the penguins to enter the pool in style.. These two both have a similar "feel" aesthetically to them and very beautiful...

They are both favourites of mine... but it seems to me to be a way of adapting the home to the use of your wheelchairs in a nice stylish and modern way.. Possibly even more affordable than having stairs and chair lifts.. : ))

annken thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • annken
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lovely ideas here. ha. mags and i saw a nice bungalow today, very quirky but unfortunately people were streaming in to see it. good price but with wheelchairs floor area may be a bit tight but i saw great potential, twin lightened up a bit...she so apprehensive. kept the floor plan and shall take it to 'self build' and get to a clinic with it to discuss further ideas. also have drawn some of my own up too so that should be useful as well. thaks.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Welcome Annken,

Glad you like the ideas.. I try to think of different ways to approach things.... So the main thing is that your sister lit up a bit.. That's a good sign... Do more looking at properties.. It will not only be good to get out to see things but take both your minds off other less nice things.. Creating a lovely home is going to be a fantastic project for the both of you..

Looking at how you move around the space or home you will live in can possibly open up a lot of interesting ways to see your daily life and routines.. Creating something that you both love and enjoy being in is key.. : ))

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.