mick_weal

UPVC Conservatory conversion

Mick Weal
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have an ugly upvc conservatory which is unusable for 6 months of the year. I don't want to lose the space (3.2 mtrs x 3.2 mtrs) but do want a room that can be used all year round, has doors opening at the front rather than the side, and has an exterior look in keeping with the house.

My thoughts were to replace the roof with an insulated flat roof with skylights, create solid pillars at the front corners, and make the side opposite the existing door solid (with perhaps a wide narrow window towards the top just to let light in)

If money was no object I'd knock it down and put an extension across the whole of the back of the house, but that's not the case so I'm hoping for £15k I can get rid of the eyesore at the back of my house!

Very interested to hear your ideas. Thanks

Comments (4)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Even bricking up one side it's still going to look like a conservatory. I can't imagine spending £15k just to move door/change roof as it'll still look the same and you said it's an eyesore.

• Hannah
    2 years ago

I think it’s the white that’s the problem? I’d look at those companies that spray paint them for you and go for a darker colour so it doesn’t stand out as much. Think they can match to your brick or make it wood effect.

• embzop
    2 years ago

If you were to move the conservatory doors to the front rather than the side, the conservatory would become a corridor to get from the house to the garden. Having the doors where they are probably is the best layout. By the way, I have the same issues with my, very similar, conservatory but have decided I'd rather wait until i can do the full width extension instead of putting lipstick on the pig of my conservatory.

Love you chap in the conservatory! I want one!

• suzy_tyrrell
    2 years ago

This blog post covers how they used the original foundations of their conservatory but modernised it: http://www.katieellison.co.uk/interiors/modern-conservatory-extension/

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.