shawtas

Conservatory reroofing - insulate Old Polycarb or replace all glass?

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone. I’m looking to replace old polycarbonate roofing and have the option to either insolate for £2500, or replace all existing Glass, install lights and wide in the doorway for £16,000 which seems extortionate. First option seems too good to be true, won’t it be too heavy for existing structure or not prevent mould? Is £16,000 a rip-off? Thanks

Comments (8)

• 3 years ago

I would get another couple of quotes. Never a good idea to just get one quote.

shawtas thanked Sonia
  • 3 years ago

Thanks Sonia. Got a slightly cheaper one the ?12,000 but still much more than I was expecting. Interested to hear what other people have paid for similar, and if merely insulating old polycarrbonate is a good idea. Sounds a bit too good to be true for the price

• 3 years ago

We upgraded our conservatory a few months back replacing the old polycarbonate roof and frames/windows with a new glass roof. At a smidge higher than your second quote it wasn’t cheap.
    It lets so much more light in (especially to the internal room) and it’s so lovely to see the sky. We fully expect to need roof blinds but going to live through this summer and see how it goes while we squirrel some ££££s away for them.

shawtas thanked lspendl 828
  • 3 years ago

That's really helpful, thanks. Significantly warmer? Did you consider just the insulation as well? Can you still hear the rain ?

• last year

Hi Shawtas, did you do anything with your conservatory? We’ve also got plastic roof and considering options

• last year

Hi Vicky. In the end we went for glass, very glad we did. It is hot in the summer – especially today as you can imagine. But it looks great and will last longer. The cost wasn't so bad in the end. I do miss the sound of rain but you can't have it all.

• PRO
    last year

There is all manner of conservatory roof replacement options on the market now, but even the best in solar control glass will still probably result in a too hot conservatory in the summer.

Some products require significant modification and structural work to your conservatory; others replace your old roofing material, polycarbonate or glass, with a more advanced version with better performance and insulation.

One product you might want to consider is aluminium conservatory roof panels if you are thinking about replacing your roof and not having glass (although you can combine glass with panels and let more light into the conservatory). These are aluminium panels suitable for PVCu, timber or aluminium conservatories and simply replace the existing material with something better. No new conservatory parts, no structural work, no major modification work, and the installation typically takes about one day. It should also work out cheaper than a full roof replacement.

Yes, you will lose light replacing the glass with a solid insulated panel, but the comfort in reducing the too hot/too cold feeling is excellent. Several companies are providing these products, so do shop around, and you don't have to use Greenspace, which can sometimes appear to be the only company doing these. Or you can get in touch with me or the website for more information and advice on these. They are very effective and without disrupting a completely new solid roof, although this also looks very good once done.

Another excellent source of information on bringing new life to old conservatories is the Refurbish my Conservatory website if you do an online search.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Nick

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.