jon_hercman

Advice on old dark wood fireplace and living room

J H

Hi all

I am looking for advice on ideas for the large fireplace and shelving etc in the attached photos as well as more generally the room as a whole. Also looking for advice on what could be done to hide the insert of the fire which is just boarded at the moment.

We are "white washing" our house on a budget to start with so key requirements are:

1. We cannot remove the fireplace (only paint or leave as is)

2. We cannot remove the plate rail (only paint or leave as is)

3. We have budget for a new carpet (or to sand the floorboards which are a dark oak I believe)

4. We do not have budget for new curtains but existing ones are good quality and relatively netural

My thoughts are to paint the fireplace and plate rail either white, or a warm white/ beigey grey which would match the colour on the walls.

The room will be used as a living / play room for infants. Please excuse the mess, this is currently a hoarding room whilst we have been renovating other rooms.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Kind regards

J