tilliekw

Full planning VS Permitted development

tilliekw
3 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking to start a project, initially I was thinking about getting an architect on-board to look at the job as a whole but now i'm thinking of dividing it into two:

- Loft extension (Permitted development)

- Two-Story front extension (Planning permission)

The reasons for splitting it are the following:

- Can start the loft extension sooner

- Delays on two-story front extension plans and revisions wont impact the loft

- Cheaper for planning permission/process

Our main focus is the loft extension so if we failed (no reason we would) with the front extension we still get what we really need.

Speaking to a development company yesterday they were trying to move me away from permitted development for the following reasons:

- Hard to get a completion certificate post build

- Not always covered by a CDM so I would be liable

- Better way to proceed as you get a structural survey

My feelings on this are as follows:

- I have no rush for a completion certificate and there is no reason to not get one as long as reg are done and signed-off correctly at every stage

- Permitted development was invented precisely for this reason, to speed things up, save costs and reduce red tape

- A CDM, or responsibility for issues is on the contractor and not the home owner

- Part of the loft extension will involve a site visit and drawings for the builders to follow from a structural engineer, they will also handle the building regs application.

Am I way off the mark on this? I'm not looking to cut corners but be the most efficient. It's a balance TBH...

Comment

Ireland
    Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.