carl_scott62

Entrance Hall and Beams revamp

Carl S
3 years ago

Hi everyone, I am new here so grateful for all any help /advise .. we purchased 1900s property last year and now looking to revamp the entrance hall , as you can see it is quite a dark area, not helped by the dark brown ceiling beams , our plans are to repaint the walls in a white like colour and replace the carpet with LVT black and white mosaic, any suggestions on what to do with ceiling beams to make it modern but sympathetic to the age of the property ( Edwardian)

Comments (10)

• Sonia
    3 years ago

White beams seen to be very popular now.

• kazzh
    3 years ago

I think your plan on the wall color will work exceptionally well to lighten the space. They are beautiful beams, and actually link to the fireplace surround. Is the surround going to stay as is, or is that having a work over? Personally I think the white color, wood with a classic white and black floor will make the space impressive. I would stay with your plan to see how it works before doing anything to the wood surfaces.

• kazzh
    3 years ago

On looking again, if you would like bright - a change of light bulb to a white light would also help. The current bulb looks like a yellow light, which might be better in a lamp for a softer look and use the overhead for when full light is needed.

• Carl S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes we are keeping the fireplace as it has green tiles we are thinking to paint in similar colour to this picture

• Carl S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes the light is awful we need a very smart ceiling light , we already have 3 wall cables for 3 wall lights 2 on left and 1 on right

• kazzh
    3 years ago

I know painting wood fireplaces can create a striking look, but I think you might loose the period feel by doing so. But then I'm not brave enough to take big design leaps and would stay with the wood, after investigating and giving the finish a good clean to enjoy the deep glow of a good quality piece of furniture!

• Sonia
    3 years ago

If you want to keep the beams natural, you could paint just the ceiling. Or look at this ceiling painted white with taupe beams, looks gorgeous. So many options! 😊

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Hi. I agree with Sonia, I would paint the beams in an off white or similar. It will lighten the hall and make the room feel so much taller. This is another arts and crafts house where they’ve done the same. The panelling in this one has been done in farrow and ball shaded white. I’d look at something like that with a complementary “white” for the ceiling.Is the fire original to the house given its proximity to the window? Id probably paint it in the wall colour so it doesn’t stand out as much against the window.

I’d consider Parquet or oak planks as they were very typical for A&C houses I believe.

Good luck, looks a great house :)

• Carl S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Minnie /Sonia .. yes the fireplace is original , it worth considering painting it in same colour , we have thought about painting beams in similar light colour .. or an anthracite colour not totally black .. to match our potential mosaic lvt ..

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Here’s a couple of Arts & Crafts that have been painted - one white and one black. 😊

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.