modernistlover

Help with Ensuite Refurb

modernistlover
3 years ago

I'm in a pickle... En-suite refurb begins on the 22nd and I still haven't made up my mind about wall tiles for the shower area. On the plus side, I now have a large number of samples now doing double duty as candle trays!
I'm pretty sure I want marble porcelain on the floor (also behind WC and vanity wall) and I have bought a grey-green vanity from IKEA, which I am not sure about either. I can't find a gorgeous affordable wooden floating vanity and prefer an element of colour over white or grey.
What would YOU team with a marble floor? Should I move away from marble?!
I am open to all suggestions at this stage and pictures would be incredible!

Comments (20)

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Hi, do you have any inspiration photos as I’ve looked through your bathroom ideabook and can’t spot any marble!

what‘s the vanity Called? Is a bath going in too or just a shower?

modernistlover thanked minnie101
  • modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Have uploaded some images to a new board. Including the 'inspo' image, which I was going to recreate using green and pink before the idea started scaring me! The vanity is also in there. And no bath, just a shower, WC and vanity. It's about 2x3m

https://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/146211470

• modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You already have me on a straighter path 😅

So, I love the mandarin stone green tile with marble too. I will go with the darker green tile in the ideas book instead of peppermint. Consider the idea of teaming with pink well and truly binned. Trends bring me out in hives hence I knew I was losing my mind!

Love the idea of introducing wood for warmth. What do you think of wood tiles like in your shared picture for the floor? Plus oak shelves for the niches? This means the shower area will have green tiles, behind the WC marble and vanity will be marble and floor wooden? Or just bring wood in as dressing pieces?

• modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marble up to niche. Painted above in a soft blush like Leather II

Shower area will be green tiles to the top. I think carry the marble through to floor as it's not the biggest room...

Marble up to just below mirror and paint above this

• minnie101
    3 years ago

😂 I think the hunter green too, the mint was really nice but didn’t really work with the vanity? 😂 pink and green can look lovely though.

can I ask what your ceiling height is? I was wondering about splitting the tiles in the shower and went looking for images and came across your inspo pic ( which I only saw briefly as your ideabook kept crashing every time and as I was familiar with the other tiles/looks I didn’t really take it in but it’s gorgeous!)

what finish for taps etc too? I think probably wood for accessories

modernistlover thanked minnie101
  • modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have bought a brushed chrome wall mounted tap to tie in with shower and towel rail. The countertop sink is white (I nearly bought a terrazzo sink... ).

The split tiles really does look class doesn't it!! I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Sad it is not going to work out as I just can't bring myself to do the pink. Where you thinking of another colour combination?!

The room itself has very high ceilings but not the shower area.

Perhaps I should return the vanity 🤔😅 I'm going to need neat gin to get through this 🤣

• minnie101
    3 years ago

😂 😂 too early to be thinking of gin! Or maybe not 🤔

I like terrazzo! This might be too green? a lot of the terrazzo also has pink in though!

No, I hadn’t seen another coloured tile to go with it 😞

what are the tiles in the inspiration pic? are they their zellige ones? I do love that whole look but you obviously want colour

it’s Quite tricky to work out what to tile where with the different height ceilings as you don’t want to chop the room up.If it’s a must you tile behind the loo I’d keep it the same height as the vanity. You could consider “half” height marble all the way round. I tried it with a different floor from MS but not sure if it’s too traditional?

• modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Visuals super helpful! Actually not averse to a graphic floor but yes, that leans too traditional for me. Do you think something like the attached may work instead for the floor? I think marble on floor might make it too cold??

The MS tile BTW is called Oblique.

What we have pinned down: half / same height marble loo wall and vanity wall. Hunter Green tiles shower area.

Yet to be pinned down: floor tiles

Thanks for the input Minnie, so appreciated 🤗

• modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago

P.s please tell me to walk away from black marble...

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I thought it was a bit traditional. Love the geometric tiles, black, white and green work really well with wood I think ? I’m also loving the Flos light in that pic!

I was wondering if the lighter tiles would work better in the shower?

step away from the black marble 😂 There’s too many nice tiles to choose from!

• modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Have samples of the following geometric tiles ordered...

Helix Decor 3

Swoon Mix

• modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sending the ikea vanity back. Bought this yesterday...

And I've decided the green is just not sparking joy deep inside!

• minnie101
    3 years ago

That’s lovely. Oh no! Do you like any of the other colours in those tiles?

• modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It really is lovely isn't it! Should be here in plenty of time also.

For tiles, I am now smitten with Helix Decor 2 & 3 teamed with either very very subtle matt marble efect or a textured matt white. What do you think? 🤔

Left you a photo question in ensuite ideas book!

And I love the look of mixed materials on floor a la Swoon pic, so will be incorporating that.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

They’re lovely, although personally don’t like them laid in the wave pattern but like the others.

Re marble, I’ve found this one. Not sure what you think. I have the monochrome decor tiles from MS and the white has a pinky undertone, I’m not sure if Helix are part of the same range. I think you just need to make sure you don’t go overboard on the patterned ones

https://www.minoli.co.uk/?s=Dolomite+marble

• modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago

WIP!

And Building Control came and it's all good 🎉

• modernistlover
    Original Author
    3 years ago

1A

• sunshineband34
    3 years ago

Looks fantastic. Love the niches.

• Trina Trina
    3 years ago

This looks great! And I love you vanity piece! Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking? Been looking for something just like this.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.