willem_verhaak

Does this exceed permitted development?

Willem Verhaak
3 years ago

My friend has drawn the extension below. The edge of the windows and the back wall of the extension behind the cladding will be at around 2.9m from the original house, so within permitted developent for a terraced house, but the eaves and the wood clad column coming down from the eaces would be at about 3.4m from the original house.

Is this wooden column counted in the overall size of the extension? I read in the planning guidance that the eaves are not counted, but this column has me worried that we'd need planning permission if we did this.

Thanks in advance!!

Willem

Comments (5)

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

What is your concern about applying for planning permission? It’s a form, minor fee and a short wait? I say chose a plan that works for you not what avoids a £230 fee

Willem Verhaak thanked Jonathan
  • minnie101
    3 years ago

I agree with Jonathan but in any case believe PDR changed so you can go out further but need prior notification? I‘ve only looked at it from the other side of the fence (challenging an office to residential conversion under PDR) but the process didn’t seem too onerous.

in answer to your question I would assume the column is counted, does your local council have a Duty Planning Officer as they may be able to advise?

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/permitted-development-rights-guide

https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/1app/guidance/guidance_note-larger_home_extension.pdf

Willem Verhaak thanked minnie101
  • Willem Verhaak
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks guys,

I was not aware of the relaxation, only used the planning portal to get the details so far.

Looks like this could go through the prior approval procedure, but not sure the wood cladding is enough of a "similar appearance" to the original red brick house. It's a hell of a lot nicer than uPVC but I've emailed the Council to see what they think!

W.

• Willem Verhaak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ps I didn't realise that planning permission was only £200! I guess the only risk is someone objects! W.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I would hope not 🤞 It’s relatively small and looks great. Good luck

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.