antonia_clowes

Farrow and Ball Greige (ish?) Shortlist Help

Antonia Clowes
3 years ago

Hi there,
I'm redecorating our hall, stairs and landing and am looking for a contemporary greige type colour from Farrow and Ball's selection. I have narrowed it down to 4 colours and was wondering if anyone had any experience of or advice on these colours please? My shortlist is:
Off White
School House White
Shadow White
Shaded White
I want to keep it light as it's north facing but want enough colour to contrast against the white woodwork.
Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

I have experience of School House, Shadow and Shaded. What is the flooring, carpet, wood, light levels etc?

• HU-395000348
    3 years ago

I have my kitchen painted in shaded white. I have to say I'm not keen as it has started to look gruby very quickly.

• Antonia Clowes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks both. Colourhappy - the hall is North facing with an east facing window on the landing. We have a newly installed light/medium oak floor in the hallway but have not chosen the carpet for the stairs and landing as yet. Hoping to get all painted up while we're at home and then go out and browse some carpets when we can. x

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

I do like Shaded White, and those colours would work with a wooden floor. However, I prefer the Skimming Stone, Elephants Breath colours which contain a bit of red as they look more taupe which I think is a more versatile choice. The School House White, Shadow White colours can read as slightly yellow and in North facing Light even more so I would say. My reason for having them is my window colours meant I had to, but if starting from scratch I would opt for the Skimming Stone option.

• Antonia Clowes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That's really helpful Colourhappy, thank you. I did look at Skimming Stone but felt that it was a little warm against the floor. That might be because the floor is mellowing to a more of a reddish hue (which I don't really like) so don't want to accentuate that if I can help it. Can see how they'd look great together though. I think I'm going to have a look at another range, perhaps the F&B shades I've shortlisted aren't just the right fit for what I'm after. x

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Have a look at the Neptune colours. They are very similar to F&B (but much better quality in my opinion) and the Silver Birch, Driftwood, Grey Oak are similar to Shaded White etc but but a tinge less yellow and possibly more versatile as a result.

• Antonia Clowes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh wow! Those Neptune colours look beautiful!! I've never heard of them but look like they're worth considering for sure. Just ordered a colour card. Thanks!!!

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

It might also be worth looking at the newish range by Cox and Cox. They have a gorgeous colour called Flaxen. The Cox and Cox paint is made by Mylands, so really high quality. It’s pricey, but you can usually find a discount code! Mylands themselves do some lovely greige’s too.

Antonia Clowes thanked Sarah U-S
  • Antonia Clowes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sarah. Agreed, the Flaxen does look really nice. I've ordered a colour card for the Cox & Cox colours and the Mylands range too. Thank you.

• Antonia Clowes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Colourhappy. Hope you don't mind me connecting with you again through this thread but I'm in need of some more guidance with these paint colours if you're happy to help? I looked at the colour cards I'd ordered after this chat and opted for light greys with a hint of warmth (but tried to avoid the yellow tones) so shortlisted to Little Greene's Wood Ash & Ceviche and Mylands Belgravia & Sloane Square. The Mylands samples have arrived so I painted them up yesterday and placed them in different places as the day/night went on. Belgravia looked perfect in the hall in both natural and artificial light but is looking quite cold, empty and insipid on the landing this morning! So I feel like I'm back to the drawing board as my Little Greene colour choices seem quite similar in hue. I'm wondering if, like you said, I'm going to have to try one with more of a red base to suit both aspects? Unless there's anything else you think there's anything else I could try? x

• Antonia Clowes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Juliet. Thank you so much for your kind reply. I'm sorry that I haven't replied before now - don't want you to think that I just read and ran after you'd gone to the trouble of writing such a fantastic reply. I think my brain just short-circuited at that point as I'd reached the point of complete overwhelm!!! 😅 Luckily (in a way), my Mum has just sold her house at short notice so I can have a little longer to think everything through while I help her with the move... Hopefully that won't throw up more ridiculous paint colour headaches for me in the future!!! 🤣 Thanks so much again Juliet, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and expertise with me. xxx

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.