adam_gris

Looking to repurpose or upcycle 70s(?) Ethan Allen table and chair

Adam Grey
3 years ago

Need ideas on how to repurpose these items for mancave. Looking for a more "masculine" use and design. I have had this sofa table/end table (?) and chair for over 10 years now and I do not know what to do with them. My wife hates the table because it looks too 70s vintage and refuses to let me put it anywhere other than my small mancave and I understand why. Needless to say it does not fit the style or color or theme of my mancave, which is mostly sports and bar oriented.

Here's the thing, both pieces are my grandparents and I've been around these pieces for almost 40 years. The chair was my grandfather's favorite. So with that, I really do not want to get rid of the table and I def do not want to part ways with the chair. However, they are mostly just collecting dust. Since both are in really good shape, considering their age, I never painted or did anything to them. But I really would like to repurpose them now. I just have no good ideas - such as should I paint/stain them a different color? Should I take off certain parts or add parts? Maybe change the legs, and spindles? What can/should I do with the table? I was initially thinking of incorporating them in my bar, which is made out of used wood pallets. I was thinking about maybe displaying some of my bourbon bottles on it but I still feel like it's a waste of space and the table sits fairly low. I also initially thought about adding leather to the chair to make it more comfortable to sit in and again a little more masculine looking but I think that's a rather pricey project.

Open to any ideas anyone may have.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

I would stain or paint it and black seems about right for a man cave.

I would also get a glass top for the table and then display something B on the shelf underneath.

And since it was Grandads furniture I would probably include a nod to him in the man cave- perhaps a picture, commemorative plaque or anything extra that helps remember him.

Adam Grey thanked Jonathan
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

So lovely that you wish to restore your grandads furniture. It’s amazing how good dark painted furniture can look. I think painting it charcoal grey, black, navy or dark green will fit in nicely. Painting furniture isn’t difficult, but it must be done properly. So a light sand, wipe down and then paint on 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of top coat such as eggshell or Satinwood. It is crucial to let each layer dry thoroughly and cure before applying the next. Best to leave days between coats rather than hours. You could add a seat pad to the chair. Dunelm sell them or Etsy have a huge range. Here’s some painted furniture to give you an idea of how it could look.

Adam Grey thanked Sonia
  • Jules Mc
    3 years ago

I'm usually the first to say slap some paint on for an, update but with these being sentimental pieces and lovely wood, I'm wondering if stripping them and going with a, light oak/ scrubbed teak finish would be nicer?

I'd never heard of scrubbed teak but that's what the description of the pic below says and I love the seat cushion too.

Before you relegate the other piece to your man cave, with a similar finish and another seat cushion, it could be a useful hallway bench to put on /take off shoes if you've got room for it. The two end boxes could contain everyday essentials (like face masks 😭)!!

Adam Grey thanked Jules Mc
  • Adam Grey
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations! I like the idea of going with a black or charcoal grey color paint but I have some thinking to do now. I also like the idea of a cushion on the seat. Maybe leather? I'll post a picture with the end result!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.