andy_howes

Through Lounge Arch Removal and Stud Wall Erection

Andy Howes

Hi All.

I've started a bit of a DIY project and was hoping for a bit of advice.

We have decided to redecorate our living room and as part of this will be erecting a stud wall to fill the gap between the front and back reception rooms. I'm pretty comfortable with the stud work required, but I'm just hoping to check I've got my logic correct for removing the archway.

The arch itself has been build into a brick wall, as in the left and right side are brick. There is also a section of brick across the top of the opening. Having removed the plaster and plasterboard creating the arch, it looks like there was no functional (structural) material underneath, just a long piece of timber which was balanced (and I'm not joking when I say balanced) on a piece of wood at either side, which in turn were sat on the brick wall. The timber was not attached to the brickwork above in any way, other than the layer of plaster over the top.

My question is, am I right in assuming that I can just crack on and put a stud wall up here without any structural concern? The house is a 1950s property with brick internal walls. From what I have seen of the neighbours houses, without banging on their walls, they are a mix of walls still in tact, archways or doors between the rooms.

Any advice greatly welcome. I've added some pre-bashing and post timber removal photos for reference.

Thanks

Andy

• Sonia

I would get advice from a builder or a structural engineer before you go any further. I would imagine they were 2 rooms previously and someone has opened it out, but the main question is, is the wall a supporting wall? If so then a lintel (steel) should have been installed to secure the building above it.

Andy Howes thanked Sonia
  • minnie101

What does the upstairs floor plan look like as that normally suggests whether it’s a supporting wall?

Andy Howes thanked minnie101
  • Andy Howes

Thanks for the speedy replies. This house is very much the fear of "What lies Beneath". I'm 95% certain it will be ok, but the 5% is worth checking up on if it means my house not falling down and piece of mind!

Thanks

• minnie101

I would agree!