johnleh

Hard landscapers - how would you ensure these troughs don’t sink?

johnleh
3 years ago

Hi all, what would you do to stop two heavy wooden troughs from sinking into the ground over time and looking uneven? The first pic shows the kind of trough I’ll be building, the second shows the lowest of the three wooden layers mocked up in situ.

I was going to place them on the gravel (5cm deep on membrane) as shown, but gravel isn’t a stable surface. Do I need to create mini hardcore filled and tamped trenches for each trough, or is there another way?

I don’t want the undersides touching soil as they’ll rot. Not worried about them toppling over BTW, they’re wide and heavy enough to avoid that issue. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks, Johnny

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Llevelo Garden Design Ltd.
    3 years ago

Hi Jonny, we've put several of these planters in and never had an issue with them sinking. I assume they have an open base and that the gravel that you'll be putting them on is contained? You're right to want to reserve the integrity of the wood though by avoiding contact with the soil and I'd suggest a trench of Type 1. We also usually install a membrane lining on the inside for the same reason. I hope that helps.

johnleh thanked Llevelo Garden Design Ltd.
  • johnleh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the insight. You’ve hit the nail on the head by clarifying whether the gravel will be contained. It won’t be as it’s part of a larger gravel-covered area so over time the gravel next to the troughs could be disturbed. That may in turn displace gravel under the edge of the troughs, dropping part of one or both and they will be too heavy to raise back up.

I’ve settled on placing paving slabs on compacted earth for the troughs to sit on, then surrounding with gravel which will will also be sufficiently deep to cover the slabs. I may regret not deploying trenches, rammer and Type 1 – we’ll see. I’d better crack on with it...

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Hi John, your idea sounds perfect. You don’t need type 1 etc unless you are laying a patio or drive. They look lovely!

johnleh thanked Sonia
  • johnleh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sonia, I’ll post a pic when they’re built and planted.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.