cassandra_zuluaga

Is this fireplace original 1920/1930s?

We’ve just purchased a mock Tudor 1920s/1930s terraced house in need of renovation. I can’t quite decide if this fireplace and mantelpiece are original (clearly the awful heater in the front is not!)

The center stone looks deco, but I’ve not come across anything similar in colour or style. (I’ve seen a lot of huge 1930s tiled fireplaces but they rlly don’t bear any resemblance).

Has anybody come across anything similar?

Comments (7)

• E D
    3 years ago

Not an expert but I feel the wooden surround is probably original to the house and painted white at a later stage.

The tiling looks later than 30s to me although, as you mentioned, there is a deco element to it, but some 50s tiled fireplaces look Art Deco inspired. Possibly put in at the same time as the fire.

Will you use the fireplace with a fire?

Btw, bit of a pity the cornice isn’t original.

• E D
    3 years ago

Actually... perhaps the tiled insert IS original.

Found these 1930s examples:

• Sonia
    3 years ago

It has an Arts & Crafts/Edwardian look about it so I agree with E D that it looks original. It’s lovely.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I think it might be original too. Since the tiled hearth is inset in the floorboards.

• Cassandra Zuluaga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

E D these are very similar indeed! Clearly you search skills are better than mine! What search term did you use? I was going to ask about the cornicing as well, thanks for your comments on that. The house was lived in by the same lady for close to 60 years but sadly she’s unable to tell us much about when it was renovated or anything else

• Cassandra Zuluaga
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sonia! My fiancé is unconvinced about the purple but I think I’m the right room it will look lovely, I want to preserve as much as I can (including some extra love to the floorboards). Thanks Caroline, that’s a good point!

• E D
    3 years ago

I think I googled ‘1930s painted fireplaces’. I know, genius. 😄

Here’s an example of the interior of a (nearly untouched) 30s house:

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.