sue_brown32

Advice on small kitchen design - brain stuck

Sue Brown
3 years ago

Hi All

I could do with some ideas and inspiration for re-designing my kitchen. Ideally, I am wanting to go with IKEA - just to save money! I am desperately small of space but having lived here for over 20 years, my brain simply cannot imagine a different way for this kitchen to be! I need as much space as possible (another thing which attracts me to IKEA!) In my ideal world, I would have space to have at least one stool by a breakfast bar but with the limitations of space, I can't see how that would be possible.

I'll attach two pictures. Dimensions are along the long wall where the cooker is 2880 mm, the unit where the fridge is is 1650. The side where the mircrowave is measures 1320mm. There is a small window above that unit and the front door is next to that. Unit depth is 600 mm and ceiling height is 2250. I'm wanting to keep the flooring to would delight in getting rid of the tiles!

Any ideas would be very very welcome! Fingers-crossed and thank you!

Sue

Comments (28)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Can you draw a sketch of the room with measurements/windows/doors marked on. It would help

• Sue Brown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, sure. I'll have a go now

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Design

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm assuming by the door handings that you are left handed ? The microwave is a little low - for comfort if it was at the top of that cabinet it would be a bit easier on your back. In order to create an island you'd need to leave sufficient room to not only walk around, but also to allow you to crouch down in front of the cooker too - so I think the way you have it looks as though it offers a better option. Have you considered/ allowed for adding appliances for dish washing and laundry too ?! Is one of the tall cabinets an integrated FF ?
    ...See More

Advice on Kitchen/Utility renovation

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi - its such a big and important project, i really think you need to sit down with a good kitchen designer and fully tease out your requirements and then look at every possible layout option. by sitting down with someone, they will draw each possible layout to scale in front of you and that way you will be able to see the pros and cons of each design. it makes decision making much easier best of luck with the project Barry
    ...See More

Architect or interior designer

Q

Comments (0)
    We have recently moved into our new house which is a 1970's semi. We want to do a bit of work on it, the biggest job would be in the kitchen which we want to completely update and replace the window with doors. We would like advice on how to tie the various bits we want done in the house together and also take advice on whether or not we would benefit from more structural work. I've spoken to one architect who said the budget is too small for them which now makes me feel embarrassed to contact anyone else! He advised we use an interior designer but I have no leads or recommendations so now I don't know which way to turn. We really want to get it right so what should we do???
    ...See More

I really need help with kitchen layout, all advice welcome!

Q

Comments (4)
    So I think we have decided to stick with the layout that we have and just block up the double doors. I hope it and it will be nice because I have lost a lot of sleep worrying about it. Thanks for letting me post here.
    ...See More
  • Sue Brown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Apologies to my old DT teacher who would probably be mortified by this drawing. Hope it makes sense!

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Wow Sue that's impressive! Probably best 3d sketch I've saw on here!

Was really meaning something simple like this of the full room....

Also, are you limited to that space or could you have another unit along

• Sue Brown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! That's very kind but it's not that great! Well, that's the space I have :-( Where were you thinking? At one end (by the washing machine) is the front door) at the other is the living room (open plan). I was aiming to move to a slightly bigger space but the current situation has blown that so trying to improve what I've got but I'm struggling to see beyond what I have. Beyond the unit is the living area which is ony about 3m x 3m so don't really want to encroach on that unless it would add something special. Opposite is the stairs

• Sue Brown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Clean Slate Design Ltd
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Sue, there is so much that can be done to improve this space! It looks like the waste pipe runs down that right-hand corner (the tiled column bit) so I would recommend keeping the washing machine and sink in the same locations (and it means you have distinct 'utility' and 'food' areas). Having said that, there are loads of small changes that can be made to give you more storage space and maximise useful worktop space.

For example, I would replace the sink with just a single bowl sink in a sleek design - doesn't need to be fancy but your current style has a lot of wasted space around the edge of the bowl and it's just another thing to have to clean! I would get one without a built-in draining board and then have a slimline portable drainer on the right-hand side (as that bit of worktop space looks like it can really only be used as a dumping ground). Something like this: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2363082. That way you would have a decent chunk of worktop between the hob and sink for food prep etc.

You could also get rid of the tiles and either replace with new tiles or look into the different splashback options - e.g. laminate/glass splashback; wipeable kitchen paint etc. I sympathise - my kitchen had white tiles when I first moved in and they always looked grubby no matter what I did!

IKEA cabinets do have the added bonus of more storage space than standard cabinets. Also look at DIY Kitchens - the units come fully assembled so you don't have the extra labour time (and therefore cost) to assemble them. I would recommend having a play around on the IKEA online planner to see what your different options are. DIY Kitchens' online planner is currently unavailable to new users whilst they upgrade it.

Hope that helps!

Sue Brown thanked Clean Slate Design Ltd
  • arc3d
    3 years ago

Hi Sue,

You might want to double check those measurements. That back wall doesn't look like its 388cm.

Could you post more pictures of the living area and a floor plan for both spaces?

Sue Brown thanked arc3d
  • Sue Brown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi arc3d

Yes- you are totally right. I have re-measured and the correct measurement of that back wall is actually 309 (taking it to the corner and ignorning the waste pipe which is 25cm square). A couple of the other measurements were off too. It's 38 cm from the edge of the waste pipe to the start of the window and 39.5 from the other side of the window to the front door. I'll try and do a floor plan of both spaces.

An added problem I discovered last night is that my flooring (which running right through downstairs) has been discontinued. I really like the flooring and don't want to change it. The only place which isn't covered (other than under the main wall) is the right angle between the fridge and oven. I wondered about switching to a combination microwave oven and maybe even a two ring hob - as I can literally only remember using three hobs on one occassion in 20+ years!

I spent a few hours with the IKEA planner yest - but as you say - the measurements are wrong so it is wasted time *sigh*

• kerry_greenhalgh50
    3 years ago

Hi. Have you thought about swapping your washing machine and sink around? You would have view out the kitchen when washing up and then have a good chunk of worktop to the right of your cooker. The drainer part of the sink could go over the corner cupboard. If you’re reliant on sink (rather than a dishwasher) I would keep a drainer as the pop-up drainer will always be out and your worktop will never look clear. The other option would be to see if you could squeeze a dishwasher (slimline??) near the sink (if keeping in old location) and not bother with a pop up drainer. When it comes to the hob, I get why a two ring would be attractive but I do find my job useful for putting a hot baking tray/casserole when straight out of the oven and when dishing up. I would also try and get integrated appliances (if budget allows) as it will make it feel a lot neater and the simple run of cupboards will help to make it feel bigger. Hope that helps. Good luck. I have small house too and always have to get creative when redesigning to max the space.

Sue Brown thanked kerry_greenhalgh50
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

looking at your kitchen now, you have three base cupboards but only one can be accessed without using a blind corner which must be annoying.

I would evaluate how much storage Vs how easy they are to access and to make your new kitchen as functional as possible. I think making it a L instead of a U would be easier.

If you had a cupboard accessed from the sitting room rather than a corner cupboard, you could slide over the fridge and gain space for a stool with minimal loss in storage

If you'd like any help visualising this or bouncing around some ideas, feel free to get in touch.

good luck
    Emily

Sue Brown thanked The Kitchen Lady UK
  • Sue Brown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah, if you could do me a quick sketch that would help! Thanks!

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

I think the whole space is compact and the peninsula unnecessarily divides the space.

If it were me I would be thinking of moving the washing machine under the stairs, and replacing the radiator on the stair wall with reduced depth storage to replace what you lose on the peninsula.

Sue Brown thanked Jonathan
  • Sue Brown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like what you've done there Mandy. I'd put some shelves in and, as you can see, a small freezer right at the back. I hadn't thought of removing the radiator and maybe putting the washing machine there Jonathan. That's why this forum is so good - helps you see the wood for the trees!

• Mandy Ross
    3 years ago

@Sue Brown, you could actually put in a tall larder cupboard or get a fridge/freezer or even both, you’d be surprised at how much space there is in the understairs, that would allow you much more flexibility with the layout of the rest of the kitchen

Sue Brown thanked Mandy Ross
  • Maggie Youngson
    3 years ago

I have a small kitchen and those pantry units would hold all food stuff and more and this gives more work top. Taking away wall cupboard would make it feel less oppressive

Sue Brown thanked Maggie Youngson
  • me_sourisseau
    3 years ago

Hi there. This space is a good challenge. I would:

- move the sink in front of the small window

- Add a glazed partition to separate the entrance

- Add an undersink dishwasher

- Move the washing machine to the bar corner with access door from the living room

- Use a cooktop with 2 hobs only and have an extra electric portable hob when needed

- Use the space unter the stair with pull out cupboards/pantry and 1 tall fridge

- remove the wall elements and replace with shelves

- add drawers on all elements

Here, I did a small model:

Sue Brown thanked me_sourisseau
  • Sue Brown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mandy Ross How did you get such a good finish on the cupboards or drawers under the stairs? Are the units pre-built or did you make them? I am going with your idea to free up space that way :-)

• Mandy Ross
    3 years ago

I used pre-built kitchen cupboards from Howdens and because I didn’t want to fill the whole area I used wall cupboards as they are not as deep (was actually a joiner who did it) and he built in all the fiddly bits. Think it cost me about £1200 with labour and supplies (timber, plasterboard and cupboards), plastering was separate. Took about 5 days

• Mandy Ross
    3 years ago

@Sue Brown last comment was for you

• Maggie Youngson
    3 years ago

That sounds pricey to me as well as a long job.

Sue Brown thanked Maggie Youngson
  • Mandy Ross
    3 years ago

@Maggie Youngson I was happy with price and time frame. I live in a 1930s semi so walls are lat and plaster, was a messy job. All walls had to be boarded and plastered before units were fitted, the angular parts were custom built. Electrics had to be fitted and the floor matched in with rest of hall and then he painted walls before finishing. I’ve used this joiner many times before and he always does an excellent job

• Maggie Youngson
    3 years ago

That is a big job

• Laura
    3 years ago

You could definitely have something for cheaper than that under the stairs @Maggie Youngson We had a carpenter build floor to ceiling wardrobes 4.5m long for £850. Get a few quotes off local carpenters

• Maggie Youngson
    3 years ago

That sounds more like it but Mandy's job was much more than carpentry. I need new double glazed French doors and windows and was thinking about a joiner doing the work as I realy dislike the sales talk and pressure from the d/g companies. Any thoughts?

• Laura
    3 years ago

I’ve never had a sales pitch from d/g but I’ve also avoided the big firms. Ask around friends and family for recommendations. We’ve used a couple of firms and never had any sort of sales pitch, in fact we’ve been talked into cheaper alternatives by one. We’re looking for more new windows and we‘re looking to use a guy who works on his own and lives behind us. There’s plenty of good honest people out there

• Maggie Youngson
    3 years ago

I would prefer to use the independent and local guys and if anything goes wrong I'll know where they live .

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.