jayne6750

Dye for knitted footstool?

Jayne Smith
3 years ago

Hi All, anyone had an success with dyeing one of these knitted footstools? Our was grey but has changed colour in time with the sun. Wondered if I could try dye it with something as seems a shame to replace it?

I wondered about one of those Dylon fabric colours? The wool cover isn’t removable tho so would have to spray it on, if that would work. Or any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Jayne

Comments (6)

• rachelmidlands
    3 years ago

Hi. If it’s wool or a natural fabric then it should take the dye quite easily. Although with something like a footstool it may have a coating to make it fire retardant. Easy way to see if it will absorb dye is to test a small patch with water. Soak for a few seconds and if you can see the water spreading through the fibres then it will take a dye.
    If using Dlyon use the cold water sachets not the machine wash mix. You may also need salt to fix the dye, instructions should be on the packet. Do the dying outside with a bucket or cheap inflatable pool and apply with a sponge squeezing the dye into the fabric.... it can get messy so rubber gloves and floor covering as well.
    Also remember that you cannot dye to a lighter colour (this involves bleaching) so only similar toned or darker will work.
    Good luck, it’s a fun and easy project but a little messy. If you can remove the cover then it would make it a lot easier.

• Jayne Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Rachel, I like the paddling pool idea and attempting it outside 👍🏻 I read an article the other day about someone using dylon to change their carpet colour which they sprayed on using an old spray bottle which gave me the idea of using dylon. I’ll do a bit of research on the sachets and attempt this in the pool outdoors. Cover not removable which is a shame. Thanks for your help.

• rachelmidlands
    3 years ago

No probs. I used to dye shoes and handbags so know a bit about how different fabrics take dyes. Sponge will probably work better as the fabric needs to draw or wick the dye into the fibres if that makes sense. Let us know if you succeed. X

• Jayne Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will do, thanks Rachel 🙂

• Tiela Moffitt
    2 years ago

Wondering how this went??

I am thinking of doing the same with a beige footstool. My home decor is predominantly grey and black so will be changing to a darker colour so curious as to how yours turned out?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.