mbohio

CliqStudios (cabinets) - OUT OF BUSINESS?!

MRBr04
4 years ago

At the end of January, I ordered all new cabinets for my kitchen and media room for a remodel. I received word last week that my cabinets had arrived with the local delivery company and they are scheduled to be delivered this Thursday.

Today, I received a call from the local delivery company. They were super apologetic, but told me that in order to have the cabinets delivered, I would have to pay the delivery fee because apparently CliqStudios completely went out of business on Saturday (fired all employees without notice). The fee is small so I’m not worried about that, but I am freaking out about my cabinets. Really hoping that my entire order is there, it’s correct and undamaged because if not, the Company is apparently closed!

I know CliqStudios is a crowd favorite on Houzz, has anyone else heard this?!

Comments (65)

• jdesign_gw
    4 years ago

Ikea kitchen boxes are made by "Saunders" in Ohio. Last I checked Ohio is still in the US. Different style doors are made in different countries. Some are made in Italy. Quality goods can come out of China. Usually under the direction of non-Chinese companies.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Jdesigns, good to know about where IKEA cabinets are manufactured. I could not be more pleased with mine. I would have loved Siematic, but alas, that was not in my budget.

• Related Discussions

Awkward kitchen (1)

Q

Comments (16)
    My 2¢ worth: first of all replace the dark blinds with translucent cordless single cell blinds in ivory or off-white--they let light through and provide privacy + some insulation from cold or heat. Clean, crisp look.That alone will brighten up this space. #2: clear the counterspace!--so much clutter! Where to put all these appliances that get little daily use? Get yourself a ss 24x20 or larger cart on wheels (see Amazon.com--Seville classic ss cart) and store little used, bulky appliances on its shelves--and roll the cart into a nearby coat closet--out of sight and way-- to be wheeled back when needed or individually carried back as needed. 3#gorgeous blue tiled walls.Don't touch them. #4:Walls: keep as is if off-white--not same as trim white white.Just a fresh coat needed.To make it "disappear," paint the radiator the same color as the wall behind it. #5Keep the white trim white--looks bright and clean.Keep kitchen door white. You might want to stop here and make no further changes #6Cabinets: I like Gast pic above on right, but too much blue for your blue-tiled kitchen...IMO. I'd go cooler and lighter...consider the light gray of the beadboard in the Gast pic above right. Beautiful hue. Don't go for the white white everyone clamors for these days.Too stark for your kitchen and too contrasty with the blue tile, too country kitchenish. #7. cabinet hardware: Look like glass knobs in pics. Go for knobs/pulls like in the Gast pic above--or similar in pewter or ss, my preference. Those "modern" ss bar handles don't work with your cabinets. #8 the round table is not a good fit against the wall. Get a small sq or rectangular ss or butcherblock-top table for that spot. Chop off the top tier of your chairs to shorten....and match their tops as they are now so's won't appear to take up so much visual space and still remain comfy--don't replace w/ uncomfortable stools.Keep white. #9. Do away with wood valance over sink window.Too country. #10 Countertops--solid color Corian type or laminate--depends on budget--don't want busy stone textures of quartz, etc. Consider a medium value cool gray. (Or maple butcherblock?). Can't see color/texture of floor.... hope some of this helps. Good luck! lisianthus' pic tho nice is too busy-cutesy for your minimalist aims IMO
    ...See More

Hi there , looking at house with north east facing garden, has anyone

Q

Comments (327)
    How will you pose for your Miss Photogenic photo op? Will you go with the Carmen Miranda fruit bowl tiara? Or would the Easter egg thingamadooeys suffice? Decisions, decisions..... Maybe Grover could photo shop each one with your dress so we can decide? We wouldn't want to break any decorating rules because we do have our reputations to uphold. LOLOLOLOLOL
    ...See More

Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room

Q

Comments (592)
    Hi ...Zaz I am not sure what went on here in Houzz .... While I have been away ..(sneezing coughing sweating) Whatever it was Move on from it !! as best you can ... Otherwise these things eat away at you ... And being on a downer that's not good for anyone ..........including you .... You have a Talent truly you do Lots see it ...... Even if you can't ....... So Put it toooooo good use If not for yourself ........ Then for others so they might enjoy it Seeing others smile from Something you have done Is gift.... I know I love toooooo Give that gift of a smile ..... Be it from writing or resisting my Poems Playing my little ukuele Painting So dust yourself off there's work toooooooo be done :@) Get your a@£& In that kitchen ... Today is the start of a new and better year ...... Of which only You Can make happen !!
    ...See More

Need help deciding what to use to floor my hallway!!

Q

Comments (8)
    Maybe if you stuck to one colour scheme such as white and purple or grey and lime green, colours that compliment each other. You could have a cabinet on the larger side with some family photos or a mirror above it and maybe a single colour on the top half of the wall and a complimentary wallpaper on the bottom half. You could go for wood on the floor or a simple soft carpet but it might get muddy. You could also have a bench with storage underneath for shoes and bags, but try get a colour that matched the walls. You could also paint the banisters if they don't match the rest of the room.
    ...See More
  • wilson853
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@jdesign_gw, do you mean Sauder Woodworking in Archbold?

• jdesign_gw
    4 years ago

Yes

• Sammy
    4 years ago

CliqStudios cabinets are made in Connersville, Indiana, USA...

using sound construction techniques and blum hardware...

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

CliqStudios cabinets are made in Connersville, Indiana, USA...

I understand that they were assembled there from Chinese parts. And I guess they are no more.

• User
    4 years ago

More marketing spin on the truth. The Assembly warehouse and the “customization” of the of the pieces for Wayzata WAS located in Indiana. Wayzata cabinets components were manufactured in China, and may find other routes into the US after a reorganization. Or may be permanently defunct. Time will tell.

https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/41893462/connersville-cabinet-maker-closes-little-warning-for-workers

https://www.importgenius.com/importers/wayzata-home-products-llc

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    4 years ago

Schafer: Abrupt closing of Edina [Minnesota] cabinet seller shows the rough times and hard decisions ahead
    http://www.startribune.com/schafer-abrupt-closing-of-edina-cabinet-seller-shows-the-rough-times-and-hard-decisions-ahead/568866972/

But as best can be determined, there had been production problems in the recent past at its manufacturing facility in Indiana.

In
    light of that, Juang and his executive team decided to start also
    selling cabinets made by other custom cabinet manufacturers, rather than
    continuing to rely on its in-house production. This is a big strategic
    change, requiring the company to strike distribution agreements with
    firms that might've perceived CliqStudios as just another competitor.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    4 years ago

This is for anyone considering an online cabinet purchase: Online cabinet vendors have been coming and going out of business since the internet began! I think they are a risky option. I've been in the industry 35 years.....I see it over and over and over. Online cabinet company opens...and then they close several years later. One company out of Arizona (if yall remember that one?) opened up under another name after they went out of business. I remember someone posting a lot about it and how they never got their money back, nor their cabinets. Any other old timers remember that situation?

Anyway, a good, knowledgeable LOCAL cabinet person or kitchen designer should be part of the equation when selecting your cabinets. I can't stress this enough. A knowledgeable person can save you money, delays and hassles in the long run. You don't know what you don't know.

• Fori
    4 years ago

A lot of places are going to be going out of business, and not just those who have business ties to China.

• Sammy
    4 years ago

Well, that’s unfortunate that the company has been shuttered. I’ve only ever seen/heard good things about the product. But back to the original issue: What are you going to do, @MRBr04? Will you keep the cabinets or dispute the charge with your cc company?

• lexiemeyers1
    4 years ago

@MRBr04 I too ordered cabinets through Cliq. They were supposed to ship on 3/17. I am assuming my cabinets are basically complete, sitting in their warehouse. You're very lucky yours have already shipped!!

I'd be willing to just pay for freight at this point since we are currently sheltering in place without a kitchen, however there's no one at the company anymore to reach out to.

I have, however, contacted their investors, Great Hill Partners and EQ Holdings, as well as the BBB and various members of the Cliq team on LinkedIn.

If you or anyone hears anything relevant to this, PLEASE update on this thread! Thank you and good luck

• Sarah Allenby
    4 years ago

I spoke with the reporter who wrote that article, because we too were awaiting our order (placed on 2/17 and estimated delivery in 4-6 weeks). He confirmed they were completely shut down, said unfortunately we should not expect any contact from them, and we should go ahead and dispute the charges on our credit card. We are lucky because we haven't yet ripped out our kitchen (so sorry @lexiemeyers1!) but we were getting close. Anyone who has cabinets that already shipped are very lucky! The real tragedy/victims here are the 400 employees who are out of work with no notice, no severance, not even a final pay check. I connected with our "designer" on LinkedIn and she confirmed that they all had no idea it was happening and she has no good news. I can't believe how horribly the management handled this, to not even keep on a skeleton crew to finish up in-progress orders or, at the very least, contact customers with orders to let them know they would not be filled. So messed up, even in these very difficult times. AND their website is still up as if everything is running normally. It's really unbelievable, and yet it's true.

MRBr04 thanked Sarah Allenby
  • Sarah Allenby
    4 years ago

One additional note: we have friends who have a beautiful kitchen from CliqStudios from a few years ago, which is the only reason I gave them a shot in the first place.

• MRBr04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sarah - Thanks for providing this info. I’m so sorry to hear that you won’t be getting your cabinets, but glad you can dispute the charge. Our cabinets arrived last Thursday and look great. I don’t yet know whether the order is correct because we haven’t had time to thoroughly review each piece, but we did inspect for damage and they look great.

• Sarah Allenby
    4 years ago

@MRBr04 so glad you got them and they look great! Before I knew we just wouldn't be getting an order, I was worried it would be a huge hassle if we had them arrive, have some damage, and have no way to get it fixed/replaced. We have great purchase protection on our cc, so in just one call this afternoon, the charge has been reversed and they have filed a formal dispute with Cliq (which I am sure will go completely unanswered). And our contractor is already in touch with some local contacts to see about getting a new cabinet order quickly. The silver lining is that small, local businesses need work right now, so we'll be happy to give it to them - always want to support the little/local guy, just wasn't in our original budget. Now we're rolling with it... Good luck with your kitchen!

• Kris Eisenhauer
    4 years ago

TheRTAStore.com bought them out of bankruptcy— just spoke with them. We love the kitchen we designed and purchased from Cliq earlier this year— so sad. Nothing to do with Covid-19– timing just a coincidence.

• MRBr04
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kris - Will TheRTAStore.com be handling past orders? For example, if I have recently delivered Cliq cabinets and there are issues, can I work with the new company?

• Wayne Emerson
    4 years ago

The Lily Ann Website indicates that they have bought Cliq. I wish everyone the best who needs to deal with orders that are in limbo. https://www.lilyanncabinets.com/ I know nothing else about this. We looked at Lily Ann and Cliq late last year as options, but decided that RTA at our stage was not the best option.

• suzannewatts
    4 years ago

I ordered Cliq late January (because they were having a sale I hurried it 🤦‍♀️). I called to find out where my cabinets were early March-nothing. I disputed the charges on my cards (2 kitchens). Ran to Lowe’s and did another order which is supposed to arrive Mid May. I randomly called the Cliq number today and spoke with Bob or Bill 🤷‍♀️from Lilyann Cabinets who said they bought Cliq out of receivership a few weeks ago and just turned the phones back on yesterday. He’s going to see if my order was assembled and said he would give me 25% off and ship it immediately. So I’ll call back tomrrow and see what’s up. Lame they did a sale and then filed BK. 👎

• Scott Rieger
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Cliq Studios is back up and operational. They are committed to fulfilling all orders and the new company that has acquired them has customer service as a priority. If you have an order already, they will do whatever is necessary to make sure you get them and that you are happy.

MRBr04 thanked Scott Rieger
  • MRBr04
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Scott Rieger - Great news, thanks for sharing! I have $20k worth of Cliq cabinets in my garage, and I never even bothered to inspect them because I didn't think it mattered. It feels really good to know that there is a customer service option now!

• User
    3 years ago

So, who is Scott that he can speak for the import overlords?

• Stephen Beck
    3 years ago

We’ve had our Cliq kitchen cabinets for almost 3 years and haven’t had a single problem with them. They shipped on time and Cliq quickly replaced a couple of Pets that were broken when they arrived at our house. Our home is an Airbnb property and we have a lot of people through in the past 3 years and the cabinets have shown no wear and they all close smoothly like they’re brand new. They were also cheaper than IKEA (and clearly better quality) when factoring in the assembly time/cost vs Cliq which came As fully assembled boxes. Sad to see the company closed. Hopefully the new owners can revive it. And hopefully those with outstanding orders still receive them.

• mseamm
    3 years ago

I came here after doing a search because they havent responded to my many emails about my order. I just read the article on one of the comments. The owner is a crook and now people are without jobs and consumers left with no cabinets they paid for. All completely avoidable and nothing to do with the rona. Awful!

• Eric Bicker
    3 years ago

We've had our Cliq cabinets for four years and we are very pleased. For the price point they were very nice with solid wood fronts, plywood boxes and all soft close hardware as standard. There were a couple damaged in transit, that they replaced at their expense. The biggest issue was not the customer service, as that was pretty good. It was the turnaround time for replacements since the cabinets are built to order and not stocked

• HU-732726030
    3 years ago

Yesterday we too discovered that Cliqstudio went into receivership in early March. I emailed them because the trash can drawer front literally FLEW OFF in my hands. Cabinets were installed Nov. 2019. Because of this we discovered that the front panel is made of some kind of very cheap MDF. The material left on the four screws crumbled to dust when I touched it. The boxes themselves are made of plywood and appear to be good quality but the panels are a different story. Their response to me this morning sorry was no warranty because we are a different company. BUT with the same name, same website, same history of when they started, same everything. This 'new' company told us to file a claim in bankruptcy court or use our credit card company to file a claim against the previous Cliqstudio company.

Also, initially there were lots shipping issues, faulty cabinets and items missing form the order after lots of back and forward we got is sorted but it took a lot of extra time.

Lastly, in general the finish on the cabinets is just not holding up. Lots of little nicks and scratches are appearing, we are two adults who use the kitchen gently. I did a fair amount of research and thought we were buying a good product. Boy have I been duped.

I wrote a bad review on their website but it appears it was not approved by the moderators as it is not visible. I would say do not trust what you read on their website. The reviews are moderated resulting in a skewed happy customer bias.

We are very disappointed with this turn of events, the quality of the cabinets and the 'new' Cliqstudio not honoring the warranty.

My advise is look elsewhere.

• Stephen Beck
    3 years ago

Probably the quality went down hill towards the point of Cliqstudio filing for bankruptcy. We installed ours 3.5 years ago in a house we use for Airbnb. We've had 90 bookings in 3 years, so quite a few random people through the house, using the kitchen, and I can honestly say, our cabinets are in perfect condition still. Not a single issue. No nicks and scratches. No doors breaking or falling off. Nothing. Just really quality stuff that's done a good job standing up to use by a lot of guests we've had stay at the house.

Bummer to hear people having a bad experience with this brand. I feel like we had a great end to end experience, and still am very impressed with the quality of the product.

Hopefully the new owners bring this brand and product back to what it was.

• Eric Bicker
    3 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that the new ownership will not support the warrantees on the original products. You would think it would be a good marketing decision on their part.

As far as the door panel material, on the doors with inset panels, the outer frame is hardwood, but the inset panels are MDF, which is supposed to be more stable over temperature and humidity.

Maybe their quality degraded over time, I don't know, but I do know that after 4 years we are still happy with our purchase and I know two other people who purchased Cliq studio cabinets in the past 3 years and haven't had any durability issues.

Good luck

• Julia Denisova
    3 years ago

I am so confused, I am about to place an order for my kitchen through CliqStudios, my design just was finalized, and all i have to do is pay and wait 6-8 weeks.Based on the earlier conversation there is no more Cliq Studio? So where am I ordering the cabinets from?

I decided to pass on Ikea and RTA due to MDF quality, and chose Cliq based on online reviews and supposefully solid wood construction locally Indiana based and such. Now I am really concerned. The samples and catalog I received from them were fine.

• Stephen Beck
    3 years ago

@JuneKnow – Honestly, after 3 years, I've had zero issues with our cabinets, and they are in a heavily used Airbnb property. I wouldn't label them as junk by any stretch. Three years in they all look brand new. Not sure if the new owner is still making them in the same place or not, but if its the same factory and same team, I'd vouch for the quality of this product.

• MRBr04
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Stephen - There’s a camp of people that think anything imported and not made 100% in the US is garbage, which is of course not true. I respect anyone wanting to buy American made, but to say anything imported is junk is also not accurate. Cliq’s cabinets do seem to be pretty good quality (for someone looking for more affordable than custom Amish made) but the jury is still out on their customer service. I am also having some major customer service issues with the new company... will update once I have a final opinion.

• Stephen Beck
    3 years ago

Agreed. And sadly, the quality of a product doesn't really matter all that much if the service is terrible.

• disantodesign
    3 years ago

Stop already with the "solid wood" crap. Nothing is solid wood. It's most likely inferior plywood at best. There are grades of MDF much better than plywood and there are grades of plywood better than MDF but a good grade of either is fine for cabinet box construction. There are way more things to consider than that. The most expensive European cabinets use melamine faced industrial particle board. You think they couldn't use plywood if they thought it was better. The only plywood I would consider using would be a high-grade multi-ply (13 layers). Which only someone like Henerybuilt or a truly custom shop on request uses. Other than that you are just falling for a sales pitch. In my opinion the best value combination you can do is Ikea with custom fronts. Not saying this because we make custom fronts for Ikea but we make custom fronts for Ikea because of this. I can create the look of just about any kitchen out there for a price that's not really possible any other way. Regardless getting hung up on ply vs. composite board is not as important as the finish quality of the fronts (the part you actually see), the hardware and overall craftsmanship of the product.

• Julia Denisova
    3 years ago

If the quality is good I wouldn't need much of service afterwards. Did anyone ordered a kitchen AFTER the company changed hands? They had some good reviews before they were sold (bankrupt) , but has anyone had any experience with them after june 2020?

Sofar: I didnt need much help with design, i knew exactly what i needed, size and cabinets,and layout, i just needed the right fillers here and there, but the rest I did myself.

Now I am at the stage "pay and wait 6 -8 weeks", and I dont want MDF or RTA type of cabinets 8 weeks later.....

BTW we ordered RTA cabinets for another project, and OM, they are so poorly made, its not even worth the saving, because its most likely to break on its own within a year or 2 at most.

• PRO
    CliqStudios
    3 years ago

CliqStudios re-launched with new owners, new leaders and new quality processes in 2020. Our team is proud to provide affordable, high quality semi-custom cabinets to fit any budget or style. CliqStudios products are built-to-fit, fully-assembled semi-custom cabinets which are manufactured in the US. CliqStudios' sister company, Lily Ann Cabinets, proudly manufactures affordable. high quality RTA cabinets. Both CliqStudios and Lily Ann Cabinets offer Limited Lifetime Warranties and have thousands of 5-star reviews online. If you have questions about our company or our products, give us a call directly or visit our website. We'd appreciate the opportunity to speak with you.

• Stephen Beck
    3 years ago

@JuneKnow are you sure you know what spam is? Usually its an email thing. Posting on a forum is not that. However your post does qualify as trolling, so there's that.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Spam per Houzz is a company promoting itself, trying to drum up business, basically free advertising on a site that sell's advertising. This is a help forum not a place for advertising. Houzz has deemed this activity to be off limits here.

• Stephen Beck
    3 years ago

@millworkman wrong, this is called community engagement and pretty much every brand has a team that handles this, looking for discussions about their products/services online, and responding. sorry but that is not spam, and that definitely does not break the terms of a social platform. requiring a brand to pay to engage is also called extortion. that is exactly why a class action lawsuit was filed against yelp - you cant force brands to pay to engage. feel free to educate yourself: https://techcrunch.com/2010/02/24/yelp-class-action-lawsuit/ - I sure hope Houzz isn't opening itself up to a similar claim by forcing brands to pay simply to respond to negative forum posts.

• User
    3 years ago

Definitely spam. Not allowed. If they want to buy advertising, let them do it. The product is still junk. Plus, your comments are more inappropriate and abusive than helpful as well. Which is one of the choices to alert. Not allowed and likely to be removed.

• Stephen Beck
    3 years ago

@Celadon this whole entire post is literally about Cliq Studios, their brand, and their reputation. You believe a brand should pay an advertising fees to defend their reputation?

• wilson853
    3 years ago

@JuneKnow, are you really live_wire_oak, who no longer has an active account on here? I see that you consistently post with ProSource Memphis and Celadon on the same threads and you sound suspiciously similar.

Unless you have recently purchased, installed or have been directly involved with CLIQ I see no value in denigrating a company that is employing American workers who are trying to take care of their families and put food on the table. Have you not noticed that we are in the middle of a pandemic and millions of people are out of work? What is your motivation in trying to negatively impact this business? You did the same thing to Wellborn on another thread.

Let real users share their experiences. I do believe that forum members are smart enough to do their own research and make up their own minds.

@millworkman, I read this thread last night and saw Cliq's response and now see that it is deleted. I did not consider it SPAM, but their right to defend their company against anonymous persons sitting behind a keyboard and bashing their company.

• Stephen Beck
    3 years ago

@wilson853 well said.

• Molly Sullivan
    3 years ago

These cabinets are trash! They were installed one year ago and EVERY single cabinet is chipping and the functionality of the drawer mechanisms are diminished already! GARBAGE PRODUCT!!

• Chris Jolly
    3 years ago

Same with my cabinets, chipping everywhere. Spend thousands of dollars and no recourse. New owners of Cliqstudio not honoring the warranty for purchases made under previous company. not fun

• Stephen Beck
    3 years ago

Wait, if you chip your cabinets, how is that the fault of the cabinet maker? Why are you chipping your cabinets? Surely they dont chip on their own?!

This is like buying a car, getting it scratched in traffic and blaming the auto maker for it.

Our cabinets are in an Airbnb property. We've had over 150 bookings in the past 3 years, and we have not a single chip, to a single issue, nothing broken, nothing damaged. I think we're a pretty good case study for the qualify of these cabinets, considering we've had not a single problem in 3 years, with literally hundreds of strangers using our kitchen.

• mseamm
    3 years ago

Well if STEPHEN BLACK says that it couldn't possibly be the company then it must be true!

Stephen is that guy we all see on social media with the sunglasses. He's arrogant, he is a know it all, and he is condescending

Yes Stephen, surely they can. When paint is not applied properly it does not adhere. Many of our cabinets arrived this way and crackled / chipped within the first year under normal gentle use with two adults with soft close hinges.

• Karen Lorbecki
    2 years ago

I hope your order was ok. The cabinet quality is absolutely horrible. The paint just chips right off. We actually got our entire order refunded due to the poor finish.

• life4real
    2 years ago

My Cliq studio cabinets were installed in 2015 or 2016. They are perfect to this day. They were a great company. I’m sorry to learn they are gone.

• PRO
    Eileen Gould Design and Construction, Inc.
    2 years ago

no haven’t heard

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.