arthurroad

Transforming a dull, dark courtyard into a bright outdoor dining room

Arthur Road Landscapes
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

D's back garden was dull and dingy and as it faced north it seemed cold and dark. She wanted a bright, welcoming space to relax in and to entertain friends and family, and somewhere to store bikes.

This is how it looked before. The garden was split level but neither space was big enough for a table and the wall and steps made the garden feel very small. The poor state of the render on the walls didn't help either.

We made the lower part of the garden bigger by pushing back the wall. This meant we could easily fit in a large dining table . Widening the steps all the way across made the garden feel much more spacious. The shed was painted the same colour as the walls and placed in the shadiest corner of the garden.

We planted up the flowerbeds with a combination of low maintenance evergreens like scented jasmine and found room for D's favourite dahlias.

Tall posts were put in the garden so that D could put up a hammock on nice days.

The wide steps are great for sitting on at parties and keeping some of D's plants in pots.

For more photos see Outdoor dining room

Comments (6)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Lovely and huge improvement. My only worry is the white paint will flake and fade over time, but even still it looks great and some very nice planting.

• PRO
    Arthur Road Landscapes
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Sonia, thanks for your lovely comments. The paint hasn't faded or flaked as the wall was re-rendered before painting. But there are a few marks from foxes climbing over the walls, a fact of life in London! These are easily washed off.

• PRO
    Arthur Road Landscapes
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Carolina!

• nmlondon
    4 years ago

Very nice, very “holiday vibe”, love the large planters and altogether the relaxed look.

• PRO
    Arthur Road Landscapes
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thankyou. The client is Australian and she loves it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.