julie_campbell_119

Reasonable soundproof request or overkill?

Julie Campbell
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My husband and I are in the very final stages of buying a leasehold on a ground floor flat. Just before exchange, the freeholder, who lives in the basement flat has requested that the following works specifications be added into the license to assign should we do anything to the floor (this had been something on our must do list):

1. All floorboards screwed down, 2 screws per board per joist.

2. Complete floor surface covered with minimum 15mm sound proofing plasterboard, stapled to floorboards. All internal joints to be caulked with acoustic sealant. Board to be laid with joints perpendicular to the floorboard joints.

3. External boundary of plasterboard to be isolated from existing walls/skirting with acoustic flanking strip of a sufficient height to include subsequent resilient layer and chipboard layers and to fold beneath the final capping bead.

4. Complete floor surface covered with a minimum of 25mm Resilient layer Isover Sound Deadening Floor or equivalent product. Joints to be staggered relative to the plasterboard.

5. Complete floor surface covered with a minimum of 18mm tongue & groove chipboard, all internal joints continuously glued. Joints to be staggered relative to the Resilient Layer.

6. Acoustic flanking strip to be folded over onto the chipboard surface and capped with a bead attached to the wall/skirting but not attached to the chipboard deck.

7. Any and all apertures in this decking for heating pipes or any other items to be caulked with acoustic sealant.

Does this seem like utter overkill? We’re happy to soundproof, but this is an 1890s Victorian and we don’t know what we’ll find when we lift up the floor, both in terms of architecture and heating/plumbing. And is it possible the doors would need to be trimmed with the floor being raised by multiple layers.

Would anyone be able to estimate the cost of these things? (We haven’t found a builder yet)

Comments (7)

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What is your share in the freehold?

This might affect your say in things.

You’re calling the basement flat owner ‘the freeholder’, but surely he too only ownes a share.

• Julie Campbell
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We’re buying a leasehold, not share of freehold. The freeholder is trying to add these specs into the license to assign before he’ll sign and we exchange with the seller (leaseholder).

• AMB
    4 years ago

I think the request is reasonable if you are planning to lay a new floor for aesthetic reasons. If the floor needs repair, I would request the freeholder contribute to any 'above and beyond costs'. Remember sound proofing will benefit you as much as it benefits them.

• Daza
    4 years ago

never heard of plasterboard being laid on a floor before. don't think that's advisable.

this seems to increase the overall floor height by 58mm! Increasing height of floor will affect everything: headroom, doors, architrave, skirting, kitchen units, toilet / soil pipe position, ... . So it wouldn't be a new flooring job but a complete refurb job. And can the main entrance accommodate it without a step?

• minipie
    4 years ago

My understanding is that licence to assign means the vendor needs the landlord to consent to you as a buyer. But generally, consent cannot be *unreasonably* withheld.

Usually the landlord charges a small fee and maybe wants to see proof you can pay the service charges - nothing like this.

I would resist and say that if consent is withheld on these grounds that will be unreasonable on the freeholder’s part. I imagine the vendor will be on your side as these conditions will prevent him or her selling the flat.

As Daza says this work will add a lot of height and that will mess up all sorts of things in the flat. Also agree that plasterboard on the floor is insane, what happens if you get a leak. I would offer to put down carpet with acoustic underlay in the bedrooms and living area. If they want further soundproofing they can add it to their own ceiling. (We’ve had a fairly good result by adding two layers of acoustic plasterboard to our ceiling, plus decent carpet and underlay in the room above, stops a lot of the noise although not all).

• kwg kwg
    4 years ago

Just came across your post. Wow, the freeholder is asking for a lot and being very specific in the request. It seems like the freeholder needs sound proofing and wants you to foot the bill as it’s being sold now. Adding almost 6cm to the height of the floor does seem ridiculous, you might even have to change your front door! I know that some leases do require some sort of sound proofing but that is surely over kill? Good idea as minipie said, if freeholder needs extra sound proofing they can add it to their ceiling. Hope it all works out and good luck. Keeps us posted on the progress!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.