camille_melanie

Brass or Bronze knocker?

C D
4 years ago
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Hi all,
We have a very old front door that we are planning to replace for a more secure and thermally efficient one.
We want to keep our current knocker because my partner loves it... I am personally not a fan, but hey :)

I would like to clean it (at least) but I cannot figure out the material.
I don’t know if it is brass or bronze; and it is not the same cleaning process it seems.
Does any of you could help me identify the material?

Also, do you think it is an original feature from the door? Our house is 1930, with slight art & craft influence.
It may help me like it better to know it is an original feature

Comments (3)

• C D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Photos dont seems to load so trying again...

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Loading photos on Houzz can be slow zzzzz. I have no idea if it’s brass or bronze but just to say I love it! So unusual. Is that a green patination on it? Maybe it has some copper in it if so? The lovely lady is Athena, Goddess of Art (I think).

• C D
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Sonia for your feedback.
    I will try to clean it (it seems that mild acid can work on bronze, brass and copper) and hopefully I will start to like it better :)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.