gillphill83

Curtains or Blinds for BiFolds and Glass Roof, yay or nay?

Gillian Curtis
6 September, 2019

I'm currently in the middle of a kitchen renovation and we have installed bifolding doors and a glass roof to bring in lots of light and open up to the garden, which is the next project on the list. However, as much as we want lots of light it can be over bearing during the summer, I'm wondering what others think and if they would choose some kind of blind, curtain or sail or not cover at all? all ideas and suggestions welcome! p.s the kitchen design is very black and industrial..

At No 19

Hello Gillian, it looks as if your renovation project is going to be amazing. I’m guessing the doors and roof lights are aluminium? If so you won’t be able to fit a curtain track without affecting their warranty. You could however use Luxaflex Trufit pleated blinds on the doors because their profiles are stuck to the glass. The roof lights will be more tricky. Sails or window film might be your best option for those. Hope that helps.

• rinq

Looks great! Might become quite hot in summers, so I guess sails (you don't need anything on the bifolds if there's enough privacy in your garden).

• obobble

What direction do the widows face? Also, what ventilation do you have? We have a north facing glass wall about 4 m wide with two veluxwindows above and have found we need no shading. There are also two opening casements in the window in the o5her half of the kitchen.

• Gillian Curtis

At No 19 - yes they are aluminium, thanks for the warning re the curtain track! I'll check out those pleated blinds, thank you!

• Gillian Curtis

rinq - we are not overlooked at the back so we do have privacy but we are east facing and that sun beams straight into the back of the house, lovely but sometimes it's too bright and it will get hot. Think the sails will be a good option just not sure where's good to buy or has anyone done them DIY?

• Gillian Curtis

obobble - that's an awesome glass wall and room you have there, we are east facing so most of the day it's in the direct sun and then moves to the front of the house for the afternoon. We do have other windows in the kitchen area that open so should be plenty of ventilation.

• Emily B

Hi Gillian it looks stunning. We had electric roller blinds in white voile on our bifolds and we are really happy. will attach a video from Instagram and a photo of them closed during the day. I think grey anthracite voile could look good with your industrial style. They do keep the heat out during the hot summer days when we are out but otherwise we only close them at night as we do need the privacy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsX5Mm7ngmD/?igshid=15ke0buxlgjx1

• Emily B

Sorry also meant to say I’d be interested to see what you decide to do with your garden! :)

• Ellie

It is hard to tell from your pics but if you are not overlooked at all I wouldn't put anything on. I think large expanses of glass look so much better without blinds/curtains and would only put up something if necessary.

This is ours currently, we plan to have none.

• Gillian Curtis

Emily B loving the electric blinds, where can they be sourced from? are they wired in or work from a plug? ah yes the garden will be the next project but likely next year now unfortunately.

• Gillian Curtis

Ellie we are not overlooked luckily, the blinds/curtains will be more for shade during hot summer months.

• Emily B

We got ours from Apple Blinds which is local to where we are in the North West. They are battery powered so didn’t need to be wired in. They operate by remote control which is attached to the wall with a discrete bracket and looks a bit like a smart home monitor I think. They need charging only once every few months. They charge by plugging in to charger for a few hours. The blinds when open are also very discrete but you should check whether they can be attached around your window frames. I agree with others that open glass is nice but I think for security purposes it is a good idea to have something for when you are away or over night etc

• Gillian Curtis

Good point re security, we have cameras and being in our area of London it's a must unfortunately, don't deliberately want to show them what we have on offer!